Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if someone who knows campy can identify what campy model these hubs are? They came off a bike equiped with a Chorus/Record 8 speed drivetrain & are laced to Mavic Reflex clincher rims with Wheelsmith double butted spokes. They appear to be nice / well made hubs. Also wondering if this freewheel will accept 9 or 10 speed cassettes also. Thanks

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
strathconaman said:
8 Speed only.

However,

You can get 9/10 speed hub bodies from pre-OS 9 speed hubs or from hubs like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CAMPAGNOLO-MIRAGE-9-SP-32-HOLE-ROAD-BIKE-REAR-HUB-NEW-/400137704731?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a10d51b

It takes no time to swap out the hub body. I have done this, and it works just fine.
I just bought one of the hubs shown to upgrade an 8 speed Chorus. No problem getting the freehub off, but when I put it on the old Chorus axle, there is a bit of the raised part of the axle protruding above the cartridge bearing in the freehub, where the lock washer and plastic washer would go along under the locknut. This sticks up about1 mm, and because of this, the freehub has play when everything is tightened down.

The Veloce has cartridge bearings in the hub, the Chorus has loose balls, so swapping axles is not an option.

I can take pictures, if need be, but do you have any ideas? Or will this really not work?

>>>>Okay, rather than delete, I am going to amend. The fit seemed unacceptable on a dry run, but when I assembled it in the Chorus body, all is well.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts