Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a campy eurus wheelset w/campy hubs (a few years old)- on the axle of the hubs, there is a small hole for injecting lube (concealed by a removeable clip). can anyone recommend a lube and how to get it in the little hole?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
any grease works (park green stuff... etc etc).

but you need a grease gun.

// this is so weak. i can't find a link for the grease gun. someone else help. I saw it at performance the other day, but I can't find it on the website, or any other website for that matter.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
curlybike said:
Leave it alone, rebuild the hub. Using the hole just fills everything up with grease and may inhibit proper action of the freehub pawls. But It is up to you, I won't do it to mine again.
I dunno...of course rebuild is the best, but I've had decent results squirting new grease in between rebuilds. Make sure you squirt enough grease in to get rid of as much of the old grease as you can.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
smoove RB-1 said:
i have a campy eurus wheelset w/campy hubs (a few years old)- on the axle of the hubs, there is a small hole for injecting lube (concealed by a removeable clip). can anyone recommend a lube and how to get it in the little hole?
How old? These are built wheels that Campy is still putting the oiler hole in? - TF

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
How old? These are built wheels that Campy is still putting the oiler hole in? - TF
Mine are handbuilts with Record hub.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
Bam! Hah. Thanks. I googled "grease gun" and only found hardcore pneumatic ones that I would guess you hook up to a compressor and use on cars. Crazy.
this place is an excellent source for all sorts of bike tools, generic and specialized.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I dunno...of course rebuild is the best, but I've had decent results squirting new grease in between rebuilds. Make sure you squirt enough grease in to get rid of as much of the old grease as you can.
Agreed. You waste more grease than you use when using the hole as first you need to fill the hubshell before the grease actually makes it to a useful spot.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
curlybike said:
What is the correct grease in your opinion?
hub grease? I think I used Pedros last because it came with the grease gun. automotive grease may be the wrong viscosity. basically any white lithium grease should work though.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Don't use grease at all. Use Phil Wood tenacious (D) oil.
how long does that last though?

·
hello
3,395 Posts
curlybike said:
Hub grease. My 1993 Record hubs have been injected countless times over the years. I've pumped grease into them til the old grease oozed out of the seals. No problem. :D

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
curlybike said:
Use Grade 0 grease. What I have came from American Classic a few years ago when the were have trouble with grease getting into the freehub body and restricting the palls. I use it for re-packing freehub bodies. - TF

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
No grease

Cruzer2424 said:
any grease works (park green stuff... etc etc).
Those holes are made for injecting oil, like when you have a critical event in dry weather and want the lowest possible rolling resistance. If you inject grease, it will fill the space between the axle and the hub body, resulting in significantly higher friction and no guarantee whatsoever that the dirty grease was actually displaced from the bearings. Campy hubs are very easy to clean and re-grease, plus they have excellent sealing to prevent contamination. When I do my annual overhaul, I can still see the grease color after 10K miles.

Injecting grease is not the greatest idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.