Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quintana: Disc brakes are heavier, less aero, and dangerous | Cyclingnews.com

Stone-Faced Colombian Killer Quintana said:
Our bike brand [Canyon –ed] has disc bikes available but in my opinion we shouldn't be using disc brakes.

Firstly because they don't actually brake all that well. You hear other riders' bikes in the peloton when the brake rubs up against the rotor. That's one thing.

Secondly, it makes the bike less aerodynamic.

Thirdly, they're much heavier.

Lastly, there's the danger they pose in a peloton of more than 100 riders. They are good for a touring cyclist, or a person who goes out riding with two or three others and is more careful, but racing is another matter.

There is no problem with the brakes that we currently have – they work very well. No one has ever had any sort of complaint. They're lighter, and you have a much better feel.
Pft... listen to this guy. Who does he think he is? Doesn't he read the forums? I bet he's never even ridden a disc brake bike.

Lotto-Soudal pro Adam Hansen says Specialized is trying to force disc brakes on peloton | road.cc

Adam Hansen said:
I do believe – and this is just my opinion – that Specialized is pushing.

Tom Boonen was against disc brakes last year, now he’s retiring this year and loves them.

We’ve got bikes where we can have disc brakes, none of us want to use them.

The other teams, they all have the option to use them but no-one is. I don’t want to be picking on sponsors or anything, but this is Specialized riders that are using them.

If you look at it as the riders are saying we’re against it, the UCI allows it … what happens if a rider did have a fatal injury from it? Who is liable for that damage? It can’t be Kittel that’s for sure.

But if the UCI deemed it safe and it turns out it wasn’t safe in some sense, to me it seems the UCI is liable for it.

From the industry side, I do think the bike manufacturers are pushing for it.

They have brought it out. I know the fans they want to ride what the pros are riding, we’re not riding disc brakes and all the top line bikes [are] now with disc brakes, so in that sense I do know the manufacturers do want the riders to use disc brakes.

It’s not that we don’t want disc brakes, or improvement in bike manufacturing, it’s just put a cover on them and then were all happy.
What an unreasonable twatwaffle luddite sissy. Also probably never ridden a bike with discs. These guys don't have a clue... oh wait.

They're sponsored by Campy. A HA! That's it, that must be it, yeah. Once Campy puts out their discs these guys will change their tune.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Canyon does have a disk break road bike, which neither Katusha or Movistar have used in races that I am aware of. I know Movistar hasn't. I do remember Valverde's only comment on the subject that unless he's had plenty of time to use them in training he's not using them in a race. I have no seen a picture of him using them in training and there are plenty of picture out there of him doing training rides as he does a lot of training rides with his amateur team. Overall it does seem the pros do not want the disk breaks.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specialized Hits Back

Specialized global PR manager Sean Estes said:
If anyone is guilty of anything, it’s not the UCI or the industry to try to push the technology; it’s the riders. There almost seems to be a collusion on behalf of the riders on their own to create this illusion that discs are these fiery hot razor blades out to decapitate people. It’s not true. There’s a lot of alleged sensationalism on both sides, and I think it’s silly. Since the rounded rotors, there has yet to be a single injury attributed to discs. I would argue that they actually improve safety.
Estes said:
Yeah, we’re pushing it, because we’re making [disc-equipped bikes] and we believe in them. But the implication in this most recent article that ‘pushing something’ is a bad idea is totally ridiculous. We pay teams and athletes to endorse our products, just like everyone does. That is literally how this sport works. Of course we’re pushing it. But we’re not pushing anything that’s dangerous or anything that we don’t believe in or that we don’t think they shouldn’t believe in. We’re attempting to guide them to what we believe is the right way. There’s nothing malicious whatsoever.

Hear that you paid disc brake protesters? Specialized is on to you. You should just do what they say, they're never wrong or malicious whatsoever.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hansen and the boys just may actually be serious.

Maybe they're not just getting paid by Campy?

CPA lawyers challenge UCI's disc brake rules | VeloNews.com

CPA now has lawyers involved and are threatening legal action over the matter.

Maybe it's just Campy behind the lawyers too. Not sure why Campy is paying Froome to be against them.. oh wait, Pinarello and Campy are pretty close, that must be why.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Honestly, the biggest culprit in all of this is the UCI. They have made this into a complete dog's breakfast once again. If they had of done it properly in the first place they would either be all in or all out, but not this half arsed effort we find ourselves in.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe they ride Campy, which makes it difficult seeing as they don't have an offering as yet.
How long have Sram and Campy teams been using the Dura-Ace direct mount brakes on their frames now?

And Campy absolutely does have road disc flat mount brakes, they've had them for a while, they just don't have any out to the public. The teams have had them over a year now.

·
Registered
760 Posts
And Campy absolutely does have road disc flat mount brakes, they've had them for a while, they just don't have any out to the public. The teams have had them over a year now.
I wasn't aware of that, I thought they were still in pre production/ testing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts