Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very familiar with Campy components. I am considering purchasing an older ('97) LeMond Alpe d'Huez with Mirage components. Are there any long term problems with this group set? What is the equivalent Shimano set (sorry for the blasphemy)? Thanks for any help (and suggestion on the bike as well).

· Registered
376 Posts
Mirage is the entry level gruppo

For that age it is likely 8-speed, and likely the shifters/brakes are actually "Avanti". I had a bike approximately the same age.

While an entry level gruppo, the components are still Campy quality and durable. I retired mine to one of my kid's bikes and they are still going strong. It is not the quality level of a Veloce (which is the next rung up), but still very usable and durable.

Shimano's entry level is Sora, which is junk (IMHO - and I am not a Shimano hater). Mirage is probably at a Tiagra level if you are trying to do a compare. Very functional, will last, but not a high end gruppo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.