Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring my Colnago C-40 and for some reason I've been intriuged by Campy Neutron wheels. I swore I'd never buy a pre-built wheel again several years ago. The last two sets have been White Industries hubs, Sapim cxray spokes and HED Belgian rims. I've been happy with those wheels, but I'd like to try something else out. Or am I being stoopid?

I've read that tires can be hard to mount on Neutron rims. Anyone experienced that?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Campag wheels in general are hard to mount tires on, especially bare handed. It took way too long for "bead jacks" to be a thing.

One thing, since I've known people bit by it, Campag/Fulcrum spare wheel parts expensive and hard to source (and ofc expensive). Break 1 NDS spoke, you have to buy a $50USD spoke "kit" (that only has one of each spoke)...and of course takes a week+ to special order from anywhere. Same holds true for other wheel spares like pawls and the like. The rims are also $200 each....which is even more expensive than HEDs.

A vintage C-40? How about some Phil Woods

How about some custom hubs/wheels with drillium?

Hubs

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sounds like they possess everything about pre-built wheels that I hate. Plus the tire mounting problem. I'm putting modern components on it (Campy Chorus) -- not going for the retro look. I did that on the 1996 Merckx Corsa frame I bought off ebay.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have Neutrons with Continental 4000's. No problems mounting tires. Nice riding wheels BTW.I have become such a fan I sold 3 pair of handbuilts and replaced them with Neutrons, Zonda's and Reynolds Assault. Not a single problem with any of them.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Neutrons are nice light, tough wheels with Campy's fabulous hubs.

Low profile, and therefore very comfortable riding as well. I have both an old set and a newer set of Ultras, plus my buddy bought a set a few years ago rides them on my recommendation. They just stay incredibly true under my weight (200#) on crappy roads.

There have been threads in the past saying similar stuff. Don't let the snowflakes put you off :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
bikerjulio said it right. I have a pair of ultra's and they ride extremely nice and the hubs are campy, need say more but smooth mile after mile. And yes they are tough too straight as an arrow after 6000 miles and that's hitting severe holes in road. Tires hard to get on not really just use some good tire levers, done. You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another A+ for the Neutrons. Bomb proof and near indestructible with awesome bearings that will never need servicing. (Check out Campy Shamals too. Get the 2-way fit version for tubeless. Super nice ride).
Google: Campagnolo Neutron Ultra and VAT. See several English web sites with outstanding pricing and free delivery.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had my Neutrons for 8 years, two different frames, and guessing about 8 to 10,000 miles on them. I have never had any issues or broken spokes,yes they can be alittle difficult when putting on a tire,but I always got them on. I have Campy hubs as well. So, for what its worth, I like my Neutrons.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a pair from Ribble for $580. There's over 100 reviews of them on the Wiggle web site, ad they're all very positive. I'm hoping they come with skewers, but I guess most wheel sets don't these days. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Installing neutron/shamal clinchers

How difficult are these to install with tire levers (no jacks)? I read 2 way fit is even harder. (I've tried Zipp clinchers).

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How difficult are these to install with tire levers (no jacks)? I read 2 way fit is even harder. (I've tried Zipp clinchers).
I read several reviews that said Conti 4000 tires are really hard to mount, so I bought some Vittoria tires and they mounted easily. They look to be nice wheels. Interesting design where the spokes don't have j-bend at the hub. They lace straight through the hub into the rim. Came with nice wheel bags, rim strips and skewers. Claimed weight is 1470 grams, actual weight is 1540 grams. That's off by about 5%. No big deal, I just happened to have a scale handy.

Hopefully, they'll be as bullet proof as the reviews say they are. I swore off pre-built wheels a few years ago

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Campag wheels universally are a bear.

Better have good technique, and some good tire irons. For tubeless, you'll probably want a bead jack.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I read several reviews that said Conti 4000 tires are really hard to mount, so I bought some Vittoria tires and they mounted easily. They look to be nice wheels. Interesting design where the spokes don't have j-bend at the hub. They lace straight through the hub into the rim. Came with nice wheel bags, rim strips and skewers. Claimed weight is 1470 grams, actual weight is 1540 grams. That's off by about 5%. No big deal, I just happened to have a scale handy.

Hopefully, they'll be as bullet proof as the reviews say they are. I swore off pre-built wheels a few years ago
If they are Shimano compatible, then they have the steel freehub and are heavier.

Usually Campy weights are pretty reliable but you never know. My old ones and the new "ultras" were about the same weight as I recall.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My Neutron's weighed 907 rear, 700 front, with tape and without skewers.Did you weigh yours with skewers?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Julio -- The wheels are Campy compatible. They're going on my refurbished Colnago C-40. Can't have enough Italian on it.

rePhil -- I weighed them without the skewers or rim tape. Those skewers look pretty beefy. I have a couple steel bikes with horizontal drop outs that I use Campy skewers on. You can really crank them on tight.

Marc -- The Vittoria tires went on really easy. I think my HED Belgian rims are harder to mount a tire on. I might try mounting a Conti 4000 -- they're my favorite tires. No interest in tubeless.

Thanks all for the remarks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts