Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an interesting picture in the 2006 Cycle Sport magazine. Magnus Backstedt winning on a pair of Campagnolo Neutrons?? I guess I must eat my word about "boutique" wheels not up to the task.:rolleyes: He's like 198-lbs right? I was floored to see someone (anyone) racing over cobbles in a low-spoke wheelset like that. Campy must build those things to be bulletproof!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
KATZRKOL said:
I was floored to see someone (anyone) racing over cobbles in a low-spoke wheelset like that. Campy must build those things to be bulletproof!
Yeap, and Campy sponsored cyclocross riders have used them for racing regularly. Mario Declerq for example won Worlds on them (though many riders are now using carbon wheels such as Boras instead). I've been trying for years to talk a buddy of mine out of his Nucleon Tubulars for years, unsuccessfully.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Campy Eurus. .

euro-trash said:
Yeap, and Campy sponsored cyclocross riders have used them for racing regularly.
I figured with the taller rim profile, the Campagnolo Eurus would be more a choice for a Paris Roubaix. . A shallow profile low-spoke wheel. . I'd be curious to know if it's stock?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Pro racing is not a good test of product durability

euro-trash said:
Yeap, and Campy sponsored cyclocross riders have used them for racing regularly. Mario Declerq for example won Worlds on them (though many riders are now using carbon wheels such as Boras instead). I've been trying for years to talk a buddy of mine out of his Nucleon Tubulars for years, unsuccessfully.
I have no idea why people think pro racing is a good demonstration of product durability. Especially when they claim that being used in a cyclocross race is some kind of proof of durability. Keep in mind that a cyclocross race lasts only an hour at most, and often have frequent bike changes (so a pair of wheels might only see a half hour use at most during the race). They are then inspected and (repaired or replaced if necessary) by mechanics before the next event.

Even Paris-Roubaix might not be the best example. Sure, equipment gets hard use in P-R - but only for a few hours. Yes, the equipment reliability must be high enough to guarantee that it can make it to the end of the race - but not longer. I don't know about you, but I expect any pair of wheels I buy to last several years, not several hours. Pro racing is not a good demonstration that equipment will meet that durability standard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Campy prohibits the use of their product on anything different than a smooth asphalt road. Do they sponsor cyclecross? I don't think so, there's no trace of that in their website.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tied & soldered?

I dunno ... I'd bet Maggie's wheels were tied and soldered for P-R, or somehow modified from stock. Anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
106 Posts
No need to do that, IMHO. I think Magnus picked those wheels because they are good at absorbing the cobble stones.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Frenk said:
No need to do that, IMHO. I think Magnus picked those wheels because they are good at absorbing the cobble stones.
Do you have to stop every few miles to get the cobbles out of the wheel then? Is it considered theft?
I believe Backstedt (or his team) was sponsered by Campy?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
How do you tie and solder radial spokes?

ari said:
I dunno ... I'd bet Maggie's wheels were tied and soldered for P-R, or somehow modified from stock. Anyone know for sure?
How do you tie and solder radial spokes? 34 out of the 46 spokes on Nuetrons (about 75% of the spokes) are radial (non-crossing).

·
Registered
106 Posts
den bakker said:
Do you have to stop every few miles to get the cobbles out of the wheel then? Is it considered theft?
I believe Backstedt (or his team) was sponsered by Campy?
My apologies, of course I meant absorbing the impacts of the cobble stones, english is not my mother tongue!
They are sponsored by campy but would you consider that a cyclocross sponsorship?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Frenk said:
My apologies, of course I meant absorbing the impacts of the cobble stones, english is not my mother tongue!
They are sponsored by campy but would you consider that a cyclocross sponsorship?
well, we have english as second language in common, just found the picture of cobbles being absorbed by the wheel kinda amusing.
PR is a road race not cyclocross. So yes I do believe there has been a significant amount of sponsor pressure.
The fact that consumers accept "X rides Y wheels, they must be great wheels" continues to puzzle me. But I am sure the PR guys are getting some great pay raises.
I would prefer less branding and cheaper wheels but that is just me.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Frenk said:
Campy prohibits the use of their product on anything different than a smooth asphalt road. Do they sponsor cyclecross? I don't think so, there's no trace of that in their website.
Take a look at the picks from cyclocross worlds. Plenty of riders use Campy for cross. Franzoi for example (Lampre).

I agree with Mark's comments above to and extent, but still, if parts weren't strong enough to hold up to the rigors of cross, even with pits every lap, riders wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
KATZRKOL said:
I figured with the taller rim profile, the Campagnolo Eurus would be more a choice for a Paris Roubaix.
Eurus are clincher only, almost all top riders use tubbies for cross and for Roubaix.

·
Registered
106 Posts
euro-trash said:
Take a look at the picks from cyclocross worlds. Plenty of riders use Campy for cross. Franzoi for example (Lampre).

I agree with Mark's comments above to and extent, but still, if parts weren't strong enough to hold up to the rigors of cross, even with pits every lap, riders wouldn't use it.
I'm not saying campy parts are not used for cyclocross, I'm saying they say it's forbidden and they don't sponsor cyclocross. The fact that cyclocross riders use, among others, campy parts, of course does not mean they get them out of a sponsoring agreement, does it?
Furthermore, the fact that campy prohibits the use of their parts for cyclecross does not mean that those parts are less suited for that use than other parts. I have seen cyclocross riders using Boras!

·
Banned
2,834 Posts

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Forbidden?

Frenk said:
I'm not saying campy parts are not used for cyclocross, I'm saying they say it's forbidden - campy prohibits the use of their parts for cyclecross does
What, do they have wheel police at CX races? Do they confiscate wheels used in prohibited service? I think that you mean to say they don't recommend use in CX :)

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
What, do they have wheel police at CX races? Do they confiscate wheels used in prohibited service? I think that you mean to say they don't recommend use in CX :)
Yeah, they don't feel like honoring their warranty on a set of wheels that some guy used when he though he could bunny hop a barrier ;-) "I was just riding along when..."

-Eric

"Excuse me, I have to take those wheels, son"

·
Banned
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Confidence. .

Frenk said:
IFurthermore, the fact that campy prohibits the use of their parts for cyclecross does not mean that those parts are less suited for that use than other parts. I have seen cyclocross riders using Boras!
Sorry my origional post fell apart to lunacy. The question/point was, regardless, a 198 pound professional riding "that" wheelset in "that" race, seems to tell me he/and Campagnolo have huge confidence in their even lightweight wheelsets. I mean the Boras yes, deep-dish generally means big strength, but not so much so I'd think with the Neutrons. When I think of the Paris Roubaix, I think Open Pros, campy hubs laced 3x with 36 spokes front/rear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I have tried to copy and paste their instructions where they say it's prohibited, but the pdf file wouldn't allow me to do that. You can check for yourself.
They certainly don't enforce this policy, they don't send around mafia guys shooting people using their components for cyclocross, can you imagine Mr. Vito Corleampagnolo giving orders: "these cyclocross racers needa taken care of!"...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Uhhh, Sven Nys rides Colnago for CX. Rabobank riders in general are on Colnago. I don't know what wheels they use though.

My experience with Campy wheels is that they are very solid and reliable. My main wheels for CX are Campy Electrons. I use Neutrons on the road, and they have never needed to be trued.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts