Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weigh 155 lbs. and want a low maintenance wheel. I found a pair thru my local shop with 200 miles on them for $400. A good deal?

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
I'm sure at your weight you'll have absolutely no issues with the Nukes. I weigh around 195 in the summer, and around 200 in the winter, and never did even 1 truing on my old Nukes. Same for the Shamals I had. But both sets being tubluar rims, they were somewhat stronger than the clincher versions.

The Nukes were great climbers/descenders, of course, and once you got the Shamals wound up they just flew. Either way, Campy IMO makes some of the best "factory-made" wheels on the planet.

I'd grab those at the LBS, maybe asking first if they'd lower the price a bit. ;)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I like them

JBF said:
I weigh 155 lbs. and want a low maintenance wheel. I found a pair thru my local shop with 200 miles on them for $400. A good deal?
I've had a pair now for 2+ seasons, clincher version. I'm a bit lighter than you but have not had any problems. The wheels have stayed extremely true. I like the offset drilling in the rear rim. Theoretically making for a stronger build.

I did bend the front wheel, running into a pedestrian at about 25mph and doing a massive endo. Front wheel and my helmet bore the brunt. Ended up bending the rim. I disassembled the wheel as storage is limited in my flat. The rim seems to be much stiffer in both vertical and lateral planes, unbuilt, than an OP I had lying around. Of course this is completely subjective. The hub's are easy to work on and the parts are all replaceable. I will note that the latter is at a cost.

I own Ksyriums, original and SL's, as well as the usual OP set, and a couple of Ambrosio-rimmed sets. Lot's of tub wheels from when I still rode those tires. The Neutrons are one of the better wheels I've every ridden.

·
Le Rouleur
74 Posts
Bullet-Proof
Have a set with about 25,000km on them, respoked the rear drive side once after about 18,000km great set of wheels ,very reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Warrantee on those?

Disclaimer: I do custom wheel building, so that's makes me a "competitor" of sorts...although I kinda doubt Campagnolo is too worried about me...

One thing to consider is that they are fairly heavy at ~1580g/pair, especially when you consider how few spokes they have and their original price point. As you may know, replacement parts for the Campy wheels are extremely expensive. If you do a google search for "Nucleon Rim", you'll see prices of $130 and up even at the "discount" mail-order stores! That means one big pothole can leave a really big hole in your wallet.

If these are used wheels, are you getting the factory warrantee? I believe these were discontinued after 2001 in favor of the slightly tweaked Neutron version. I'd be sure Campagnolo is going to warrantee you if you show up with a problem in 2005.

At your weight, you should be able to use a much lighter <u>and</u> less expensive wheelset and still have good reliability expectations. For example: We do a Campy compatible build using the semi-aero Velocity AeroHead/AeroHead OC (asym) rim. It's ~1450g, and costs $300 including shipping to the USA. Cost for a "no questions asked" crash-replacement rebuild on one of these wheels is only ~$50, and that includes a new rim, all new spokes, new nips, labor (free repairs for two years), <i>and</i> the return shipping! It would also be brand-new and includes a full factory warranty on all the parts...you can see the specs and compare them for yourself... <a href="http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/99.htm?79">Front</a> and <a href="http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/100.htm?79">Rear</a>

I think Campy makes some of the nicest factory wheels available, and the hubs are generally very nice, but it's hard for me to get excited about paying $400 for relatively heavy used wheels that are super-expensive to repair and may have an iffy warrantee status. But then again my opinion is admittedly a little biased ;-) .

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
Hey bianchi4me -

I'm all for custom-built's, but let's also remember one of the biggest reasons why the Nukes and other Campy wheels have been so reliable: because the spokes are set into the rims and hubs the way the are, the spoke tension is so much higher than guys like you can do at an LBS, which makes for a stronger wheel.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Nukes getting messed up and needing warranty service. Short of a stupid move or an accident, they can hold up to just about any "normal" riding you can put them through.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
I have both....

AJS said:
Hey bianchi4me -

I'm all for custom-built's, but let's also remember one of the biggest reasons why the Nukes and other Campy wheels have been so reliable: because the spokes are set into the rims and hubs the way the are, the spoke tension is so much higher than guys like you can do at an LBS, which makes for a stronger wheel.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Nukes getting messed up and needing warranty service. Short of a stupid move or an accident, they can hold up to just about any "normal" riding you can put them through.
I have Neutrons and the wheel (with slight difference) mentioned by Bianchi4me. I love my Neutrons but did bend one rim in a pothole. Had it fixed to almost perfect true. However, I must admit that Bianchi4me's wheels are one hell of a bargain at his price. I only have 300 miles on them but they are outstanding performers, light and time will only tell how the hubs hold up. I know the Sapim spokes and Velocity rims are tough as nails. It is all a matter of how much you want to spend.....

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
lyle -

Remember, he's asking about the older Nucleon's, not the newer Neutron's, though I'm sure there isn't a ton of difference between the two. (?)

Nothing wrong with custom's, like I said above. I had a pair of 32H Aerohead's w. Chorus hubs, sewed up with Wheelsmith's, and nary a problem until I got mad at my (then) wife and threw that bike (a Y2K Litespeed Tuscany/Record 10) across the lawn. :eek: Well, it didn't weigh much, so it flew much better than I thought it would!

Everything else on the bike was unscathed, but it happened to land on that rear wheel which tacoed it. Never did get it straightened out right, but that wasn't the rim's fault.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe regretting Zondas

Today, I had a flat and had to change the tube on the roadside. Whoa, it sure is hard to get off the tire. I thought I was going to break my tire levers. When I got it all back together I spun the rear wheel. It was wobbling a bit. It wasn't bad, but this wheelset (Campagnolo Zonda) is only 350 miles old. My last bike had Dura Ace/CXP-33 (32 hole) that were nearly perfect after 2500 miles. Are my expectations too high on the Campagnolo wheels?

I'm seriously considering selling or trading the Zondas for a traditional wheelset. Do you guys think the Speedcific/Aerohead wheelset from oddandendos would be bulletproof? I weigh 155 lbs and ride on good Tennessee roads. I'm a recreational rider, so weight isn't really important. I think I went overboard on the Zondas. I picked them for looks(yeah, I know), but I thought they would still be really strong.
Jürgen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts