Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard rumors for at least a year now that Campy is working on their own power meter for the UT cranks. Does anyone know the status on this? Any chance it will be a 2009 offering? I'm really interested in getting something like an SRM or maybe the Quarq system but I hate the idea of giving up my cranks (Powertap is out because I like to switch wheels).

Thanks...

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Why is an SRM the only choice? With the Quarq Cinqo coming out in June, if it is indeed released in June, you can get a power meter and FSA Team Issue carbon crank for $1,500. I can swallow that a lot easier than $3,000+ for an SRM, especially since I have 5 bikes that I would eventually like to have a power meter on. I cannot go the Powertap route either because I have the Edge 705 that the Powertap doesn't work with, and I have about 6 or 7 different wheelsets that I use, so going the Powertap route would be as expensive, or more so, as buying a Cinqo for each bike.

Ultimately, I hope Campy comes out with a reasonably priced powermeter since all my road bikes have Campy on them.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
You are correct. Quarq doesn't have a product out right now, but people laughed at Honda when it introduced the Civic back in the 80's. You never know what will happen with Quarq. Me, I'm probably going to wait until the off season to purchase a power meter so that I can see what kind of reviews the Cinqo gets and so they can work the bugs out of it. Who knows, maybe SRM prices might come down some with some competition.

Again, I really wish Campy would come out with something reasonable, or at least a UT crank that could be used with the Cinqo.

· Registered
988 Posts
Is Ergomo totally out of the equation? Price-wise its the most attractive specially since you can fit a BB in each bike and switch the computer, they seem to have ironed out a lot of the problems of the early model and now comes with 2 yrs warranty!

· Registered
12,593 Posts
What is the Ergomo?

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Just looked up the Ergomo. I don't think it will work with the Campy UT cranks I have and I have no idea if it will work with the Edge 705.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ergomo is out for me. Every shop I've talked to has had nothing but problems with them (the return rate is huge) and several have refused to carry them anymore.

The SRM does seem to be the most robust, but still no UT crank and it is expensive. I would swallow the price if campy would let SRM put out a system around the record UT crank (like they do with Dura Ace, SRAM, etc...) but when I inquired about this at a campy pro shop that's when I heard that campy wouldn't deal with SRM because they were working on their own system. I can't seem to find any details though, so this may just be an unfounded rumor.

I'm going to see if the Quarq actually makes it to release in the next few months (I'm starting to doubt it) and how it compares to the SRM, then I guess it will be time to retire the campy cranks.

· Registered
919 Posts
With Campy and Shimano appearing to run out of ideas (e.g. 11 speed?) I'm surprised that they haven't integrated a strain gauge for power into the BB which will give seamless integration with their computers (which, as they stand, aren't great). Both companies would probably have the engineering prowess to build something better than the small outfits that now dominate the power meter market.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
One would think that either of these companies could actually buy out Powertap, SRM, or Cinqo and produce something under their brand name, or at least lease the patent from one of these companies and produce their own power meters. I am truly surprised at the lack of selection amongst power meters considering how much people rave about how great they are for training.

· Cat Herder
148 Posts
no, not really that surprising

fabsroman said:
I am truly surprised at the lack of selection amongst power meters considering how much people rave about how great they are for training.
That's probably because until the last 3 to 5 years power meters were something used only by pros and only in training. Once carbon really took off as a main material and bike weights came way down SRM started seeing some action in races. Also in that timeframe PowerTap came out with the SL version of their hub, then wireless. Being used by BMC at the tour and proving the hub's reliability really helped. Also in assist were the fact that Versus (then OLN) was making a big fuss over the numbers being put out by riders using the PowerTaps, and giving short blurbs about how it helps train smarter, etc., etc.

· Registered
650 Posts
bigdeal said:
That's probably because until the last 3 to 5 years power meters were something used only by pros and only in training. Once carbon really took off as a main material and bike weights came way down SRM started seeing some action in races. Also in that timeframe PowerTap came out with the SL version of their hub, then wireless. Being used by BMC at the tour and proving the hub's reliability really helped. Also in assist were the fact that Versus (then OLN) was making a big fuss over the numbers being put out by riders using the PowerTaps, and giving short blurbs about how it helps train smarter, etc., etc.
How reliable are they? The one guy around here who has one has owned it for about 6 months and i think been able to ride it for about 2 of those months. He is continually having problems with the engagement pawls. Something about two little bits of al breaking off and the freehub, well free spinning. He says its good when it works though. He has a pro SL in campy so its the newest and best power tap avaliable. This may be an one off but as hes the only guy around here with one its not good for word of mouth.

· Registered
988 Posts
fabsroman said:
Just looked up the Ergomo. I don't think it will work with the Campy UT cranks I have and I have no idea if it will work with the Edge 705.
You are right due to the design of the sensor unit which is built in to the hub it woun't work with UT or hollow tech systems so you will have to use older cranks or use ergomo's which is made by FSA (I think) but at 535g it should keep the weightweenies happy. Just ordered mine (will be running it with the square taper Record carbon chainset), I still think SRM is the best but its silly money and didn't fancy power tap due to being stuck with one wheel so thought it would be the best option given my budget.

· Cat Herder
148 Posts
one person?

slowdave said:
How reliable are they? The one guy around here who has one has owned it for about 6 months and i think been able to ride it for about 2 of those months. He is continually having problems with the engagement pawls. Something about two little bits of al breaking off and the freehub, well free spinning. He says its good when it works though. He has a pro SL in campy so its the newest and best power tap avaliable. This may be an one off but as hes the only guy around here with one its not good for word of mouth.
I wouldn't judge the entire product based on one person's experience when there's hundreds of users that use them without problems, I being one of them. I have had one since November of 2005 and can tell you they're pretty freakin' reliable. Isn't there a guy who's reviewing one on this board? I'm pretty sure there is, he's fighting diabetes and learining to ride smarter according to his blog/review here. So, that's two......

· Registered
818 Posts
These problems are common with PTs. Also water getting inside the hub is common too. PTs seem more reliable since the wireless units have been out. This stuff is fairly well documented on power forums online.

slowdave said:

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
dead flag blues said:
These problems are common with PTs. Also water getting inside the hub is common too. PTs seem more reliable since the wireless units have been out. This stuff is fairly well documented on power forums online.
I think you are about 4 models behind. - TF

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.