Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheels were trashed in New Orleans flood. The rims are pitted a little but IM still going to use them on a back up bike. The axles are a little pitted, thinking about using them. The bearings are totally shot.

Where can I get a campy wheel bearing kit and maybe the axles? Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
jtompilot said:
My wheels were trashed in New Orleans flood. The rims are pitted a little but IM still going to use them on a back up bike. The axles are a little pitted, thinking about using them. The bearings are totally shot.

Where can I get a campy wheel bearing kit and maybe the axles? Thanks
when you said 'New Orleans flood', a lot of that flood water was pretty toxic. are you sure you want to use those wheels? my friends who did a service trip down there practically had to wear chem warfare suits. if there was corrosive stuff in the water (as opposed to just biological contaminants), you've got a lot of scrubbing to do at the very least.

that having been said, if not your LBS isn't willing or able to order the parts (they should be able to get them from QBP), try www.branfordbike.com. I'd get some citrus degreaser and scrub the axles and rims, that should get the rust spots out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I cleaned the whole bike real good. Sprayed the frame,Record drive train and parts with wd40, then triflow, and corrosion x. Soon I'll find out how it all works.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Whoa!

weiwentg said:
when you said 'New Orleans flood', a lot of that flood water was pretty toxic. are you sure you want to use those wheels? my friends who did a service trip down there practically had to wear chem warfare suits.
Well, he's not going to be eating off the wheels or bike. The chances of getting any but neglible exposure from the bike, even if it were never cleaned, are about zero.

Brandford Bike is the easy source for things like bearings and cones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts