Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
agree...

Spunout said:
There should be a groove in the FD arm which makes it very obvious where the cable goes. Take the cable fixing bolt out and look at it.
The cable will always comes over the left side of the bolt and fits into a small groove in the arm. If there is a tab, the cable goes under it, between the tab and the clamp bolt, not over it.

The QS ergo pulls the same amount of cable per click, it just engages the cable sooner. If the QS FD has a longer lever arm, it must take more clicks to operate than a non-QS model. The long lever arm is what creates the lower operating force. The non-QS FDs should take three clicks to cover their full travel.

The fact that Campy warns that a QS FD with a non-QS shifter might require two strokes of the finger lever suggests that it take 5 clicks or more to operate a QS FD. The older, non-QS ergo will execute 5 clicks with one sweep of the finger lever. 5 clicks are used when shifting from the little ring to the middle ring on a triple. Triple FDs are all non-QS and still work with QS shifter. I suspect the QS shifter will execute at least 6 clicks with one sweep of the lever, due to the quicker engagement. I'll have one today or tomorrow and report.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
about QS..

I just got my Record QS levers and they have the same 5-click ability that they've always had, but the finger lever engages sooner (less dead movment).

I'll agree about this "tab" now that I've looked at the picture. It looks like it's there to get the cable aligned at the bottom of the groove. The cable would not be routed inside the tab, or it wouldn't align with the groove.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.