Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently added a Campagnolo Record 9 speed equipped bike to the Shimano 105 7 speed bike I've been happily pedaling for eighteen years. I have on intention in entering into a Campy vs Shimano war, I am very pleased with the quality of components on both of my bikes. I am, though, curious as to why the freewheel ratcheting (probably not the right term) is SO much louder with Campy. Do they use a dramatically different design than the comparatively silent Shimano? Is the Campy stuff likely to need more regular servicing / where out quicker?

Please remember - I don't want to start a Campy vs Shimano thread, I'm just interested in why the ratchet is so much louder on Campy.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Are you talking about the Ergo right shifter for the rear derailleur? It has a more positive/harder feel than Shimano. When you shift you get a loud CLICK, knowing that you changed gears. You can adjust the tension with the down tube adjusting barrel to get a lighter or more positive shift. You have to play with it while you ride, for me it's works different in my garage. Put it in the large ring in front and small cog in back and see if it shifts over to the next cog with no hesitation. You don't want it too tight nor too loose. The cable will stretch a little over time and you will have to adjust it.

Shimano has a lighter feel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dinosaur. I was actually talking about the noise the the rear hub makes when you coast or pedal backwards. Nevertheless I had also noticed the shifters are pretty positive and appreciate your comments.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,331 Posts
greg75 said:
Yes, the rear hub is Campy Record. I am very intrigued by the much louder action compared with my old 105.
Campy hubs are rattle snakes.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Yes, Campy freewheels can be noisy. In a weird way, I like it. It takes me back to my childhood in the fifties and early sixties, when a noisy click-click meant your bicycle was a genuine racing ten-speed, not one of those stodgy three-speed or coaster brake jobs.

Actually, freewheels (back then they were "clusters") only became quiet in the mid-1970's. And as mentioned above, the Campy freewheel is sweet music compared to the "Swarm of Angry Giant Mosquitoes" sound of a Chris King hub.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
mcteague said:
I run Campy now but use DT 240S hubs and they seem just as loud. My previous Dura-Ace freehub was silent by comparison. Still, Chris King stands atop the noise hill IMO.

Tim McTeague
Try Industry Nine for that mad swarm of bees sound.
Hadley and Hope are also up there in the noise stakes.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
the cure..

I bought a pair of Fulcrum Zero wheels (Campy hubs) last year and noticed the very loud racheting. I put up with it for the awhile, but after 3000 miles, I took the rear hub apart, cleaned out the original grease and heavily greased the pawl area and bearings with Park Poly lube 1000. It's a lot quiter now, but it will never be as whisper quiet as some brands, like Mavic. The downside to a very quiet frewheel mechanism like Mavic's is less positive engagement. The pawl springs are real weak and I've had a occasional slip, even with new cassette body, pawls and springs.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
C-40 has the cure. Chances are, though, it's even easier than that: I'll wager there's a grease-port in your cassette body. Take your cassette off. See a little grub screw? Back that screw out and squirt in a little good grease (I use Pedro's Syn-Grease or Prep-M) with a grease-gun.

Alternatively, just pop the hub apart and grease the pawls manually. Again, use something kind of thick and tacky, and thin it out with Phil's Tenacious Oil if it's too thick. However, I have never had my freehub freeze, and I've always had enough grease in it that it runs COMPLETELY silent.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yes, Campy rear hubs are loud. But I've yet to see another rear cassette hub spin as freely as my 8 speed Record.

And the Swiss DT made hub on my Bontrager Race X Lites is just about as loud.

·
Inching to 1000 (again)
1,049 Posts
Yes, I’ve also found that after pumping some of the Park Poly Lube, the hub got quieter. My experience from dismanteling Campy gear is that their white grease is a bit lighter than the Park or Phil grease. The plus side of the loud hub is that I can just coast a bit when I want people in front of me to know I am there.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The campy gear is the brand they use in heaven. That is the sound you hear when you bicycle in heaven. I love the campy sound. A little grease muffles it, as advised, above. Enjoy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Slim Chance said:
Yes, I’ve also found that after pumping some of the Park Poly Lube, the hub got quieter. My experience from dismanteling Campy gear is that their white grease is a bit lighter than the Park or Phil grease. The plus side of the loud hub is that I can just coast a bit when I want people in front of me to know I am there.
I have Fulcrum's and do the same thing. Coast a little and people move. Probably sounds like a swarm of bee's to them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.