Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a request via PM for some photos of these a while ago, and just washed them for the first time in weeks, so I figured it might be appropriate now...

32h Record hubs; ano-red Ambrosio Excellence (double eyelets, perfect braking tracks, 488g per) rims; black WS DB 14 spokes (really about 14/16, or 14/15.5 - great spokes, IMO); red alloy nipples everywhere except the drive-side. Tension is about as high as I could get it. The Ambrosio rims have a much nicer finish than any Mavics I've ever worked with, and built up like Lego.

They don't weigh as much as the tank-arse Ritchey/Mavic 219 wheels on my rigid singlespeed MTB, but they're the heaviest wheels I've ever ridden on a road bike. 1845g of love, including Record skewers and (real, Velox) rim tape. I spent all winter lifting - and now can't climb so well anymore - and wanted very, very stiff wheels that would hold up to regular thrashings in collegiate and ACA crits. I didn't want wheels I had to true. Ever.

All in all, they're everything I wanted. I'm working on - err, waiting for parts - a 1300g wheelset that will be used exclusively for HC TTs and the occasional road race, but they'll probably be way too flexy and end up on eBay after six weeks. All I can say...weight schmeight.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
ergott said:
Mixing Campy and Shimano?! You blaspheme!

Nice wheels!

-Eric
Mixing Campy w/ Shimano is one thing, but using a mango(certainly looks like mango) CK headset when you could have had pink....well, that's a real crime, Sr. Ergott.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
alienator said:
Mixing Campy w/ Shimano is one thing, but using a mango(certainly looks like mango) CK headset when you could have had pink....well, that's a real crime, Sr. Ergott.
Why have pink when you can have gold!

Matches the Serotta decals which are black with a gold outline. The pic doesn't do it justice.

-Eric

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
ergott said:
Why have pink when you can have gold!

Matches the Serotta decals which are black with a gold outline. The pic doesn't do it justice.

-Eric
The pic doesn't do it justice because you didn't use the required resolution and perspective as stipulated in the Chris King technical bulletin, "Required Resolution and Perspective For Photos of Chris King Headsets." I won't be a bit surprised if CK makes you give the headset back.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ergott said:
Mixing Campy and Shimano?! You blaspheme!
What can I say? They're nice cranks. I wanted to try some shorter cranks, and a friend of mine had these, so they were an easy option. I've only ridden them twice, but so far, I like them. ...Of course, to some extent, cranks are cranks. They replaced 180mm Record allpy/Record BB. Anyone who says he can feel a difference of 'stiffness' is full of crap, but...what can I say?

They're nice cranks. Shimano, Campy - all it really boils down to is what kind of shifters you like. With that in mind, I know where my allegiances lie!

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
I've got some Ambrosio Excellence Black Rims with DuraAce9, 14Ga DT all around 3X and Brass nipples all around. Never weighed them. Don't care about the weight. They ride Smoooooth and are Stiff. I wish the braking surface was 1mm wider though, to give a little extra room for my brake pads and adjustment. Currently my pads take up the entire track.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jesse D Smith said:
Sandra Bullock is a roadie?
Yeah, and she's 6'3.25" now, too. Nice girl, but I had to take her bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts