Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used Campy Record BB that I am installing nut it seems to not spin very well at all when tightened. This is the carbon sleeved square tapered model. I install the right side and when I get it against the bottom bracket it snugs just a little, the left side is not installed yet. As I tighten the left side into the botom bracket it tightens a little more. If I wrench both sides to torque it just seems too tight. When the bracket is out of the frame it is like butter.

I surfaced the right side of the bracket (the only side that has a critical seating surface). Could there be an issue with the tapped threads being "off" from one side to the other?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
??

The OP said that he already faced the right side of the BB. He could double-check the accuracy of the facing by screwing the right cup in until it contact a thin feeler gage, like an .010 inch, then use .008 and .012 inch feelers to check for high or low spots.

The only other option is to install it and ride it. See if it loosens up after a ride or two.

Edit: Since the BB is used, it won't loosen up. I was thinking of a new one.

If the threads are misaligned, there's really nothing that can be done. Any thread chaser will just follow the same path as the original tap.

· Militant commuter
943 Posts
I had that same problem with used Shimano and other branded cartridge BBs. For me, it meant the bearings are fried. My threading checked out ok...so once I got an unused BB unit, everything worked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.