Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a new crankset for a frameset that I just ordered. My LBS tells me the FSA is better than the carbon Record? I was looking for some feedback on how the Campy performs vs FSA?
Thanks
P.S. I also posted this in the Campy forum.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Define better

adelaney01 said:
I want to buy a new crankset for a frameset that I just ordered. My LBS tells me the FSA is better than the carbon Record? I was looking for some feedback on how the Campy performs vs FSA?
The FSA is cheaper than Campy Record, but it would be fun to get in your LBS's face and have them explain "better." I doubt you will find much support for this claim anyplace other than a shop that gets a higher markup on FSA, or is just fond of spewing BS.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I own both cranksets mounted on two different CF frames. Aside from looks, I cannot tell the difference between them in actual daily riding. I did have some slippage problems with FSA that required blue Loctite and for that reason prefer the old square taper axle, but otherwise both are just jewelry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The LBS stated the FSA mega exo BB was much stiffer than the square taper design of campy.
I have an older FSA octalink crank which works fine but I have a few bucks to spare and would like to finish out my Record groupo on the new frame.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
adelaney01 said:
The LBS stated the FSA mega exo BB was much stiffer than the square taper design of campy.
I have an older FSA octalink crank which works fine but I have a few bucks to spare and would like to finish out my Record groupo on the new frame.
Ah, the old "a lot stiffer" gambit.

I wonder how exactly all that extra stiffness translates into an actual, material difference in how the bike performs under your legs.

I ride both, as well as the notoriously "extra stiff" DA10 crank and the alloy versions of Record and Chorus. I honestly cannot tell the difference in any of them.

I think that "extra stiffness" gets rolled out when there is no tangible answer as to why one is better than the other. People like Boonen, Cipollini and Petacchi get by just fine at 70KPH on bikes with the square-taper spindle. If they're not suffering a decline in performance, I doubt you or I would.

The Record crank is darn nice looking, and when I want to adorn a bike, it's the crank I choose. And for no reason other than that.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Stiffer.....maybe. Does it make a difference? I don't remember ever reading about anyone complaining about the flexiness of square taper BB's.

FWIW, I think FSA cranks look like kack, but that's just me. I do have a set of FSA Carbon Team Issue's on my scoot, but I'm waiting for my new, non-FSA crankset to get here.

There is zero wrong with Campy cranks. Hell, I think the alloy Record cranks would look spiffy on any bike (and they're uber cheap) and would be as stiff as anyone needed. There's this Tom Boonen guy that keeps winning races and sprints on a set of alloy Record cranks.......

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quality consistency is better with Campagnolo compared to FSA carbon cranks. Across the board the BB reliability is also considerably better.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Engineers

adelaney01 said:
The LBS stated the FSA mega exo BB was much stiffer than the square taper design of campy...
Wow, I am impressed. Most shops only have teenagers working as shop rats. You managed to find a LBS with a mechanical engineer who also has the testing equipment to back up this statement.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Well Duhh

terry b said:
Hey, don't you know teenagers are a lot smarter than the rest of us? Don't take my word for it, just ask them. :D
I don't need to ask a teenager, I have one and he does not hesitate to let me know how stupid I am. In addition this season he has taken to reminding me how slow I am as he regularly kicks my butt at every single town line sign. Maybe when he turns thirty I will be smart again and perhaps not so slow on the bike.

To top it off he is a shop rat too at the LBS. Often times he forgets who taught him how to wrench. He may be a faster wrench but my bikes have pretty builds with those subtle touches like the Campagnolo logo on all the housings being lined up and visible from the side.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yes, so much so i would let one take a wrench to my bike,,if i wasn't such a know-it-all myself...

terry b said:
Hey, don't you know teenagers are a lot smarter than the rest of us? Don't take my word for it, just ask them. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ride Magazine published a test in their latest issue....

and Shimano and Campy came out on top. Here's the results in order of stiffness according to their test jig:

Ultegra, Dura-Ace, Chorus Carbon CT, Record Carbon, Chorus Alu, Record Alu, Centaur Carbon CT, Centaur Alu, FSA Gossamer Mega, Zipp 300, FSA SLK Mega, FSA K-Force Mega

Of course their jig might not relate at all to performance on the road! I've ridden on Centaur, Chorus, Record and FSA carbon stuff and don't notice a big difference (might be due to my puny legs). The FSA's seem a bit softer but they have also been mounted on bikes that are generally less stiff.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I will tell you one real reason why Campy is better -- FSA's non-drive side arm has what some would call a design flaw. The fastening mechanism is less than ideal (engineers can explain better) and the outboard bearings make the center of the crank really bulky. If you have any slight duck feet, you'd have major shoe rub (probably bump) problems. Campy on the other hand has a lower profile.

I truly think the next generation is a bigger BB shell rather than this half ass fix through outboard bearings.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I ride the FSA but WANT the Campy

I went FSA mainly over price. Does it work? Sure. But it does not have near the beauty or panache of the Campy cranks. No. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price at the time when I had a perfectly good FSA crankset lying around.

However, I still have the jones for a Campy carbon crankset. Want to bet I don't have one by end of season?

So the lesson is, if you want a Campy get it. You will eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts