Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have question for the experts here. I am using 2007 Record Components on my Cervelo. However, I do have a FSA Standard K-light crankset with the Mega EXO Ceramic BB. The problem is that I feel the shifting on the front could be better and the chain does not run as quiet as it should. All adjustments have been made by myself and 2 other very well known local bike shops. Do you think trying the the Record 2008 front derailleur is worth a shot? I feel that even at optimum gear ratios front and back, the chain hits the front derailleur.

·
Registered
604 Posts
ts1 said:
I have question for the experts here. I am using 2007 Record Components on my Cervelo. However, I do have a FSA Standard K-light crankset with the Mega EXO Ceramic BB. The problem is that I feel the shifting on the front could be better and the chain does not run as quiet as it should. All adjustments have been made by myself and 2 other very well known local bike shops. Do you think trying the the Record 2008 front derailleur is worth a shot? I feel that even at optimum gear ratios front and back, the chain hits the front derailleur.
You don't mention what type of Cervelo you have, but I've had some problems running Campag front derailleurs on the alloy Solists with braze-on mounts, especially when running compact cranks. According to the local Campag agency the braze-on position on this frame is to blame.

I found that fitting a Shimano front derailleur worked very well with both compact and standard cranks, and I presume you're running Campy shifters in which case running a Shimano derailleur will be no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not specifying the frame but I have a R3. I am running Record shifters. Funny you mention the compact crank because I have been considering switching to a compact for quite some time. I want to switch to Record Cranks but may reconsider on Campy if you think this may cause additional issues.

·
Registered
604 Posts
ts1 said:
Sorry for not specifying the frame but I have a R3. I am running Record shifters. Funny you mention the compact crank because I have been considering switching to a compact for quite some time. I want to switch to Record Cranks but may reconsider on Campy if you think this may cause additional issues.
Of course its so hard to trouble-shoot without being able to see the bike, but if you've had two competent mechanics try to improve the performance after you've explained what problems you're experiencing then it might be time to look at compatibility issues.

FSA chainrings are renowned for not shifting as well as their Shimano / Campy counterparts. Swapping to Shimano rings might work very well however you'll loose the 'Campag' look of the bike.

What chain are you running? I've found that a Shimano 10 speed chain will give the best shift performance across mis-matched components.

In general Shimano components tend to have a wider fudge-factor for strange chainlines, mis-matched components etc. This isn't to say that your Campag components won't shift well however :thumbsup:

If you have access to borrow a Shimano front derailleur then I'd try fitting it and seeing what the results are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running a Record Chain. The only mismatched components are the BB and the Cranks. I will see how the Campy crankset works out. My LBS will let me switch components at the time of install if I am not completely satisfied. Thanks for your help.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Seems hard to believe that it would be the derailluera. Between the clearanceof the guides and micro adjusting, your chain should have plenty of room to get through without touching. I find that I have similar issues with a Chorus group on my Tarmac. In my case the noise is just how the chain loads onto the rings in big/big more than small/small, but everything is adjusted, and the chain isn't touching anywhere.

I'd like to move my chain rings out a bit as my chain catches on the inside of my big chain ring when I'm in 39/12 and sometimes a bit in 39/13 also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.