Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a Camp Record Ergo Shifters But I have Shimano Ultegra Drivetrain? Will this work? How is the performance difference?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow. Not even sure where to start...

First off, Campy and Shimano use different indexing, so they are not built to be compatable. Just putting Campy shifters on will not (generally) work. In other words, shifting between gears will not be correct.

That being said, there are ways to make Campy 10 shifters work with Shimano 9 derailleurs, and Campy 9 and Shimano 9 were so close that I run a 9 speed Shimano cassette rear wheel on one of my 9 speed Campy bikes. Do a search on the forums and you will find a lot of posts about making this work.

All that being said, Why switch? And, if you are going to switch, WHY put the most expensive Campy shifters on an otherwise Ultegra bike? If you just want the feel of the hoods and Ergo shifting, go Centaur (or maybe Chorus). Even Veloce would work fine.

My suggestion...if you want Campy, sell your Ultegra on eBay and buy the Campy level you can afford. I did that and couldn't be happier. Nothing wrong with my Ultegra (and Dura Ace...ran it for years), but when making the move to 10 speed I converted to Campy. Love the shifters and the clean looks, and my shifting is spot on.

Otherwise, stick with what you have. Ultegra is fine stuff.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It will work but not really well. Since the cog spacing is different in the two systems some gears will shift better than others. I've done it but don't recommend it. The Ultegra shifters will work better.

I'm a Campy guy and I second C Thomas's suggestion. The only difference is that I would buy a new gruppo and sell the old one on Ebay, since you seem to like your bike.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
another option..

You didn't say whether you have a 9 or 10 speed system. There is a free method of adapting campy 10 shifters to shimano 9. The method was described at the website below, but does not seem available at present. Briefly, all you do is route the shift cable around the bottom of the cable clamp, to lengthen the effective length of the arm and reduce the travel of the RD.

http://www.hubbub.com/tandems_index.html

Another option is to buy a J-tek Shiftmate to correct the cable pull.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

You should try a ride on campy shifters, if possible, before buying. The hoods are a lot different and so is the shifting technique.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cthomas is spot on. The index shift spacing is completely different. Both manufacturers specifically designed their components not to be compatible.The only way it will work would be to install the same width Campy spacers in the freewheel, or replace the entire freewheel with a customTi buit one from Cycle Dynamics.http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/
They can make a Shimano cassette with Campy spacings, but it's going to cost you!
Is it worth all that trouble?

·
Registered
99 Posts
JTek ShiftMate

Works like a charm on my bike for over a year now (9 spd dura ace drivetrain). And why not buy the Record shifters, after all, they're cheaper than even Ultegra these days, and let's not even talk about looks here ;-) or weight savings for that matter.
I don't know what's going on in the Shimano pricing department, maybe I'm missing something here, but $300 for Ultegra shifters, ON SALE ?

Pick the right ratio shiftmate and you're free to mix and match to your hearts delight.

Michael
---------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.