Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given a couple of old, nice bottom bracket sets (spindle, cups, balls, plastic collar, Campy grease). I was hoping to use modern cranks--Racing T, Chorus--with these bb. Other than the Brit vs Italian thread thing, and width, are there any compatibility issues on the tapers?? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Yes and no

elvisVerde said:
I have been given a couple of old, nice bottom bracket sets (spindle, cups, balls, plastic collar, Campy grease). I was hoping to use modern cranks--Racing T, Chorus--with these bb. Other than the Brit vs Italian thread thing, and width, are there any compatibility issues on the tapers?? Thanks in advance....
The tapers are fine and will work great. For a triple, the axle lengths on those old BBs are comparable to today's triples (112 mm in English, 113 mm in Italian) and should be close, though you may run into some issues with symmetry (where the length of the axle resides). If you look in the Campy spec PDFs, you may find some numbers you can compare. With the old axles, 17 mm of the length was on the left side, while 20 mm was on the right (the rest was inside the frame).

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey:

i'm new to the forums, but i've been working with a similar, if opposite, situation on my latest project, and i just wanted to check in. the old bb spindles are fine and good, and will likely work, in most lengths, with newer crank arms that flare out from their interface with the square taper. my current problem has been with using old campy strada crank arms on an old, too-short (111mm) spindle. the crank arms do not flare out at all from the square taper, so the chain rings and spider either hit the chainstay, or are 2mm from hitting it. no good. you should be fine going the other way though, using old bb's with new, flaring cranks. give'r.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts