Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Campy Proton 06 wheelset i ordered just arrived. anyway, it comes with a non-adhesive plastic rim strip. being somewhat of a newbie, i was wondering whether this is normal for campy wheelsets and how good the rim strip is. they look pretty thick, which probably explains why fitting tyres can be a bit of a challenge. i have yet to fit the rim strip onto the wheels so i can't attest to the comments made by others about the tight fit.

i would appreciate any views on these plastic rim strips and whether i should go for conventional stick-on rim strip/tape. cheers.

boon

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Eurus wheelset.

The ones that came with my Eurus cracked after several months causing me to get flats. There is better and lighter out there. The rim strips are not the issue with some tires being difficult to mount with Campagnolo wheels, the actual diameter of the rim is.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Throw it away

Many reasons why...
1. Unlike sticky rim tape, a plastic rim strip can move inside the wheel and cause blowouts as your tube gets sucked into the eyelet hole. Happened to me many times before I figured out the cause.
2. They will eventually crack. Usually when you are 40 miles from home, ten miles from any store that carries duct tape
3. Yup...they are thick and make it hard to put to put on tight tires

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your helpful replies. sounds like it's safer to go with conventional adhesive rim tape/strips. cheers.

boon

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
IME, ANY tires are difficult to mount on Campy rims. They're just a bit larger in diameter than most other rims, making them, IMO, a colossal PITA!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Be sure you replace it with a strip as wide as the campy one, your rear rim has asymmetric holes and a standard strip might leave them partially uncovered, assuring immediate flats.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dropped by at the LBS today with the campy protons to check that the wheel is true and to install a new cassette. the shop owner suggested that i use the rim strip that came with the wheels, particularly for the rear wheel because of its asymmetric design. so i've taken his advice and let's see what happens next.

oh, i can finally confirm what eveyone else says about campy wheels: a royal PITA to fit tyres on (Michelin Pro2 Race). took me about 45 minutes to fit the front and about 10 minutes to fit the rear. the rear was faster because i discovered the trick to install tyres on campy wheels. now i hope never ever to get a flat.

boon

·
Registered
919 Posts
boon said:
i dropped by at the LBS today with the campy protons to check that the wheel is true and to install a new cassette. the shop owner suggested that i use the rim strip that came with the wheels, particularly for the rear wheel because of its asymmetric design. so i've taken his advice and let's see what happens next.

oh, i can finally confirm what eveyone else says about campy wheels: a royal PITA to fit tyres on (Michelin Pro2 Race). took me about 45 minutes to fit the front and about 10 minutes to fit the rear. the rear was faster because i discovered the trick to install tyres on campy wheels. now i hope never ever to get a flat.

boon
If it is any consolation, it is said that the Michelins are about the hardest to mount on Campy rims. I have a pair of Protons on order and the only hesitation I had about buying Campy wheels was the tire mounting issue.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Wrong tires

boon said:
oh, i can finally confirm what eveyone else says about campy wheels: a royal PITA to fit tyres on (Michelin Pro2 Race).
You have combined a rim with a fairly large spoke bed diameter with a tire brand that is probably the most difficult to mount, regardless of rim brand or model. If you switched to another brand of tire, you would not have these problems. Conti works fine, as do Vredestein IIRC. You're right that you don't want to have to change a flat out on the road with your current tires, so quit using the Michelins. If you have been somehow (falsely) convinced that Michelins are superior to all others, then you'll be paying the price when you get to flatsville.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kerry Irons said:
You have combined a rim with a fairly large spoke bed diameter with a tire brand that is probably the most difficult to mount, regardless of rim brand or model. If you switched to another brand of tire, you would not have these problems. Conti works fine, as do Vredestein IIRC. You're right that you don't want to have to change a flat out on the road with your current tires, so quit using the Michelins. If you have been somehow (falsely) convinced that Michelins are superior to all others, then you'll be paying the price when you get to flatsville.
the michelin tyres that i mounted on the campy protons were previously used on my stock standard wheelset - Alex AT400. it was a breeze to install brand new on the Alex AT400 including changing a flat (due to tube failure, not puncture. that'll be the last time i use ultralight inner tubes). so i can't say that i agree with your observation that michelins are the most difficult to mount on any brand of rims.

in fact, the everyday tyre that i use, the kenda kaliente, was quite difficult to mount on the AT400 fresh out of the box. however, that might be just me with my limited experience in road biking.

boon

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
referring to the tire rolling resistance thread, Michelin Pro Races have the 3rd best coefficient of rolling resistance, and they were rated at much better flat resistance than the top two. the Michelin Carbons have very good rolling resistance too, although they're a training tire. so, it would seem that Michelin makes pretty good tires, at least on paper. in my experience, I've found this to be true. looking at the forum, it seems everyone has good and bad experiences with lots of brands of tires, including your favorite Conti GP 3ks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'll second, or third, the Campy/Michelin problems. I finally had to take them into the LBS and they told me that Michelin tires are notoriously difficult to mount on Campy wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts