Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in components by mistake.

I have an older (not that old) 8spd setup. I want to change rims. What (if any) aero style rims does one recommend I buy that will work with the 8spd? I'm a big guy so it's important that they're somewhat bullet proof, but I know my routes well and tend to avoid "surprises" in the road. I'm currently on Mavic's - the front took a hit several years ago.

Thanks in advance!

JR

· Registered
237 Posts
not sure about the 8-speed/rim relationship, but...

(I don't think the cogs have anything to do with your rim choice--what do you have in mind?)

Do you mean aero, or sorta aero-looking? If you mean really aero, that will be $$$. What is your budget?

If you mean sorta aero, the Velocity Deep-V is a decent, strong rim, that you can beat up with little worry. Any rim that is less aero than the DeepV is likely not actually aero, according to me.

mach5 said:
I originally posted this in components by mistake.
I have an older (not that old) 8spd setup. I want to change rims. What (if any) aero style rims does one recommend I buy that will work with the 8spd? I'm a big guy so it's important that they're somewhat bullet proof, but I know my routes well and tend to avoid "surprises" in the road. I'm currently on Mavic's - the front took a hit several years ago.

Thanks in advance!

JR

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You'll have to tell whatever wheel builder exactly what you want. The velocity deep v's are a good choice as are Mavic Open Pro's.

· Registered
237 Posts
In a way the 8 speed is a good thing, OTOH, however...

the 8s is getting to be sadly "old school". On the good side, an 8s wheel is not as flat (spoke angle) as the more recent 9-10s wheels, and for many folks 8 cogs is sufficient.

However your options are not great if you want a modern factory built wheel. They are mostly 9-10s. You can, however, buy a set of fancy new rims and have new wheels built on your old hubs, or you can splurge and find new 8s hubs and have them built into wheels with the rim of your choice. That would rock.

This is from the official Campagnolo website::
8s groups and compatibility:

Can I put 8s sprockets onto a 9s hub?
No, they would damage the freewheel because the shape is different.

Can I make a 9s sprocket set out of an 8s sprocket set, by changing the spacers and adding the ninth cog?
No, because of the difference in thickness between 8s and 9s cogs.

Are the 8s Record steel sprocket sets still available? Yes.

Does the 9s rear derailleur work in the 8s drivetrain? Yes, if the C9 chain is also used.

Can I make a 9s sprocket set out of an 8s sprocket set, by changing the spacers and adding the ninth cog? No, because of the difference in thickness between 8s and 9s cogs.

Can I use the ErgoBrain computer on my 8s bike?
No. The integration is only possible with the ErgoBrain ready Ergopower levers. In addition, the indexing is different.

Can I use the new ultralight 9s/10s hubs with my 8s group?
Yes, but only with a 9s Veloce UD (or Mirage UD) sprocket set and the conversion kit "KIT-03", available from Campagnolo retailers.

Can I use a 9s rear derailleur with my 8s drivetrain? Yes, but it requires the C9 chain.

Does the C9 chain work with the 8s drivetrain? Yes.

Are the 8s Record steel sprocket sets still available?
Yes. They are available in the following combinations: 12-23, 13-23 and 13-26 (see the spare parts catalogue).

Can I convert my 8s Shamal (or other 8s Fluid-Dynamic wheel) into a 9s by changing the freewheel body?
No, it is too dangerous because of clearance problems between the derailleur cage and the spokes.

Can I use the Nucleon / Neutron wheels, or any other 9s/10s model on my 8s bike?
Yes, but it is necessary to use a 9s Veloce UD (or Mirage UD) sprocket set and the conversion kit "KIT-03", available from Campagnolo ret

mach5 said:
I said rims but meant wheels. Any recommendations on a new wheelset?

· Registered
237 Posts
If sturdy is part of the rim job description...

the Deep-V is more studly than the Mavic O-P, the closest Mavic might be the CXP-33.
The 33 has a slightly raised profile and is stronger than the O-P by a slight amount. Having said that, I have handled the O-P in their not-built-yet form, and they are impressively strong for their weight. However, none of these is really aero, with the Deep-V being only slightly so.

Mr. Versatile said:
You'll have to tell whatever wheel builder exactly what you want. The velocity deep v's are a good choice as are Mavic Open Pro's.

· Registered
124 Posts
Yes you an use 8 cogs on a 9 speed wheel

All that you need to do is get a loose cog 9 speed cogset and a wheels manufacturing spacer kit. Replace the Campagnolo spacers with the wheels spacers and leave off the last (largest) cog and you have a perfectly shifting 8 speed wheel. I used this set up for about a year and a half in my transition from 8 to 9 speed with no problems. Look at Branfordbike.com and you can read more about it. Also if you are interested in Ventos, check out www.11speed.com I just orderes a pair for $206.00 and that includes shipping.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
8/9/10spd wheel dish, and running 8spd on a 9/10spd wheel

elvisVerde said:
the 8s is getting to be sadly "old school". On the good side, an 8s wheel is not as flat (spoke angle) as the more recent 9-10s wheels, and for many folks 8 cogs is sufficient.
Whoops, hold on there! The dishing on 8spd, 9spd and 10spd hubs/wheels are identical! Shimano made no geometry changes on their hubs when going from 8spd to 9spd to 10spd (10spd cassettes fit just fine on 8spd wheels, and 8spd cassettes fit just fine on most 10spd wheels). Campagnolo only changed the freehub spline pattern when their hubs went from 8spd to 9/10spd - the rest of the hub retained the same geometry.

As hubs (and freehubs) went form 5spd to 6spd to 7spd to 8spd, wheels increased dishing for the extra space for the additional sprockets. But by the time of 8spd, the drivetrain manufacturers must have realized that they had pushed the dishing about as far as they would be able to get away without fataly weakening the rear wheel. For 9spd and 10spd, they left the dishing the same and simply thinned the sprockets, spacers and chains to fit into the same space.

elvisVerde said:
However your options are not great if you want a modern factory built wheel. They are mostly 9-10s. You can, however, buy a set of fancy new rims and have new wheels built on your old hubs, or you can splurge and find new 8s hubs and have them built into wheels with the rim of your choice. That would rock.

This is from the official Campagnolo website::
8s groups and compatibility:

Can I make a 9s sprocket set out of an 8s sprocket set, by changing the spacers and adding the ninth cog?
No, because of the difference in thickness between 8s and 9s cogs.
Unless you've been hording 8spd cassettes, I wouldn't bother trying to buy a wheel with an 8spd freehub. Like the Campagnolo information above says, you can easily respace a loose sprocket 9spd cassette to work perfectly with an 8spd drivetrain. Buying a 9/10spd wheel will allow you to run 8spd (with a respaced cassette) and would allow you to convert your drivetrain to 9spd or 10spd in the future without any modification of the wheels. 9/10spd wheels would also have a greater potential resale value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.