Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· good son , bad man
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a set of '08 Campy Shamal Ultra wheels. I've always liked the performance of Michelin's Pro Race tires and would like to continue using them. Is this combo going to be one of those "nightmare mounts" ? I'm currently running Mavic OPs and I know they're no yardstick to measure anything by since they seem to accept any tire with ease.

The weird thing is, you hear so many contradicting accounts. Some posters say they've had no problems with Shamals and tire mounts, and others say they're difficult with any tire. I've had campy rims in the past (early '90s) and although they were a little tighter than OPs, it wasn't worth mentioning.

Are the new age Campy wheels much different? Any thoughts?

· Registered
177 Posts
uncle said:
I am considering a set of '08 Campy Shamal Ultra wheels. I've always liked the performance of Michelin's Pro Race tires and would like to continue using them. Is this combo going to be one of those "nightmare mounts" ? I'm currently running Mavic OPs and I know they're no yardstick to measure anything by since they seem to accept any tire with ease.

The weird thing is, you hear so many contradicting accounts. Some posters say they've had no problems with Shamals and tire mounts, and others say they're difficult with any tire. I've had campy rims in the past (early '90s) and although they were a little tighter than OPs, it wasn't worth mentioning.

Are the new age Campy wheels much different? Any thoughts?
No idea on how things mount as I have never tried that combo, but I must say that I think that if you do go with that combo, you will really like the MICHELIN Pro3s.

· Registered
221 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you'll find Michelins one of the least compatible tires for Campy rims. It's not impossible to mount them, but it sure is harder than it needs to be. Continental is not much better. I've had the best luck with Vittoria and Vredstein's, and I'm not the only one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.