Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am not trying to start a Shimano-Campy war, but on a ride the other day I did realize something that might be a drawback of Campy shifters.

So here it goes: when my hands were in the hoods (06 Record) and I wanted to downshift, I actually had to move the hand back by about an inch (so my thumb could reach the buttono), and in the process had to shift much of the support of the upper body to the other hand. It doesn't really bother me, but it does take a fraction of a second more compared to a Shimano shifter. Not to mention that the support from both arms aren't equal during that fraction of a second.

Does anyone feel the same?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Campy-Shimano War!

Campy-Shimano War!

No really, I ride both, and after a bit on each you just adjust your position to meet the needs of the shift mechanism.

When riding Campy, I ride so that my thumb is on the button. With Shimano, I'm fractionally forward to allow my fingers to swing the levers. If you spend enough time on one or the other, you don't ever make the kind of conscious adjustment you're talking about. And since my ratio of Campy to Shimano is something like 8:1, I actually end up changing in the other direction when I begin a rotation on a DA bike.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I don't even put much thought into it. My commuter and race bike are both campy so shifting requires little of my limited mental capacity or the apparent shifting of body weight. Riding shimaNo for years beforehand has deprived me of the mental capacity to remember such important facts as World Series champs of the 70's and Bob Ueckers batting average.

·
pinoy thunder
342 Posts
How the heck do you guys shift during an all out sprint?
I know it's possible, but you really have to move your hand up near the top portion of the drops in order to reach the thumb lever. I could not keep my rythm when doing this so I tended to just start my sprint on the smaller cogs and just grind it out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
shifty characters

You shifty characters don't know how good you've got it . . .

With my Campagnolo nuovo record (1984?) I gotta take one hand entirely off the bar to move this little lever on my downtube.

Needless to say an STI equipped bike is on the list.

I wonder how all those racers used to deal with DT shifters back in the day?

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Drawbacks?There's no stinkin' drawbacks with Campag!

Honestly,I had the experience on the first coupla rides with the system too.I felt i had to slide my hands back from the front of the hood to gear down. Now, I have situated myself where I almost always have my thumb resting on it.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,915 Posts
elviento said:
OK, I am not trying to start a Shimano-Campy war, but on a ride the other day I did realize something that might be a drawback of Campy shifters.

So here it goes: when my hands were in the hoods (06 Record) and I wanted to downshift, I actually had to move the hand back by about an inch (so my thumb could reach the buttono), and in the process had to shift much of the support of the upper body to the other hand. It doesn't really bother me, but it does take a fraction of a second more compared to a Shimano shifter. Not to mention that the support from both arms aren't equal during that fraction of a second.

if you were hitting the thumb button, you were actually UPshifting. and why does this even bear thinking about? there are so many different places to put your hands on the average set of road bars...you're going to be out of reach of the shifter every now and then. when you need to shift, move your hand...;l

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I can shift from the drops without moving my hand at all. Same for the hoods. I tried to shift once while I was scratching my right ear. That didn't work so well.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
cxwrench said:
if you were hitting the thumb button, you were actually UPshifting. and why does this even bear thinking about? there are so many different places to put your hands on the average set of road bars...you're going to be out of reach of the shifter every now and then. when you need to shift, move your hand...;l
unless he was talking about the FD :D

personally, i dont find an issue with shifting at all. Perhaps it matters on which system you were 'born on'. I started on campy 10, i find shimano weird !

G

·
wankski said:
unless he was talking about the FD :D

personally, i dont find an issue with shifting at all. Perhaps it matters on which system you were 'born on'. I started on campy 10, i find shimano weird !
Hmm,

I started on Nuovo Record.

Still works like a charm, at least as good as Ergo. If the worst thing I have to worry abut in my life is the "fraction of a second" it takes to shift gears. Then I've got it pretty good.

·
pinoy thunder
342 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I can shift from the drops without moving my hand at all.
You must have very long thumbs. Unless you hold the "upper portion" of the drops, I find it impossible to shift up.

I thought that most people sprint on the lower part of the drops..:confused5:

·
Registered
714 Posts
try this, while on the hoods as you describe. actuate the thumb "buttono" (button imbued with italiano flair) with the palm of your hand, the underside of your thumb, by rolling your wrist so your thumb moves downward. i do this on occasion and it keeps the arms equal as per your mention, just watch for bumps so your hand does not fly off, as it may lessen your grip...

elviento said:

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
stihl said:
You must have very long thumbs. Unless you hold the "upper portion" of the drops, I find it impossible to shift up.

I thought that most people sprint on the lower part of the drops..:confused5:
Long thumbs or large hands -- I don't know which it is but I am able to shift from the drops (on an "anatomical" bar) by reaching my thumb up. It works for me but it works better for Tommy B (oonen!).

Philippe

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
perfect timing...

as I was riding last night I was wondering about moving my levers down so it would be easier to shift the thumb button from the drops. The long lever hinges back so so can keep it close to the bars and actually hold it whilst riding but the button does require me to move my hand to get to it. This is not a problem as I am not racing and the 1/10 second I lose means nothing, but I shift a LOT and rarely ride in the drops because of the reach issue. Therefore, to get down out of the wind I resort to Aero bars. If I was able to shift more smoothly I might even be able to get the unsightly things off of my bike.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
On Ergos

A friend of mine switched from campy to simano recently because of his small hands. According to him, shifting while on the drops required an effort on his part to reach the thumb lever. He's fine on the hoods.

My Mrs. on the other hand switched from shimano to campy also because of her small hands. She spends most of her ride on the hoods and she can shift and break better.

I on the other hand, just like the fact that my break levers just go two directions (front and back) plus while on top of the bars, I can shift with my pinky. :) While on the hoods, my thumb can reach the lever no problem.

Joe

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
yeah if ya ride on the hoods mostly, ergos seem to be the perfect shifter to me, and I do I am going to try moving them down and around a bit to try to be able to shift a little more easily fromthe drops. All it can cost me is a pack of bar tape. BTW I have small hands too and due to a shattered wrist a few years back, have trouble bending the left one back at odd angles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.