Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the difference is between Campy and Shimano chainrings. I've come across a couple of Campy and I was wondering if I could use them with my Shimano gear.

They look the same to me.

thanks

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
Short answer: No you can't use Shimano chainrings on Campy cranks and vice versa.

Long answer: Let's start off by eliminating the new Shimano 9000 chainsets/cranks, which use a unique four arm spider and chainring combo that's incompatible with anything else. Although it's sold as being BOTH a compact and a regular crank, as of right now you can't buy the chainrings to make a regular crank from a compact and vice versa. As for the rest of the cranks, Shimano uses a different Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) than Campy. For standard cranks, Campy uses 135mm while Shimano uses 130. Even for compact the chainrings aren't compatible at 110 mm because of how Campy attaches the fifth bolt onto the crank. If you go back and look at pictures you'll see that Campy chainrings attach on the crank arm, while Shimano rings do not. This typically requires an offset for that arm on the chainring that Campy changes depending on the group the chainset is for. This means that you can't use the high end Campy chainrings on the lower end spiders (for both compact and standard).

Ribble sells reasonably priced Campy compatible chainrings, but it's very tricky to figure out exactly the ones you need. If you buy the wrong ones, you may have to either dremel down the 5th tab on the ring or use shims, both of which can potentially change the chainline significantly or worse affect front shifting.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the ones I have are FSA 50t one says C10 the other N10. The BCD are exactly the same. Looking at them again I can't see why they won't work. I've placed them both side by side on a glass top table and the Shimano one is slightly taller. I wouldn't have thought this would be enough effect shifting though.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
You didn't say you had FSA rings. Please ask the correct question if you want the correct answer. In all likelihood the C10 FSA ring requires a spacer to work with the Campy crank. If not the chainring will warp at the fifth position where it attaches to the crank arm. A lot of the "compatible" chainrings really are not and have to use spacers as I said in my original response. Since you're using it on a Shimano crank it may work, what I would check is the space between the chainrings for proper shifting and that the ring rotates true. That's assuming the fifth hole isn't 113 BCD which it may well be. If it is you're SOL.

Reactions: orange_julius
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.