Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but:

Does anyone know if there is available a conversion method for putting a Campy cassette on a Shimano hub? For example, is there a hub body that you can bolt to a Shimano hub that is designed to accept a Campy cassette, thereby allowing you to use an existing Shimano-hubbed wheel with a Campy drivetrain?

I'm in the throes of planning a new build that I would like to do with Campy SR11, but I want to use my existing Shimano-hubbed custom wheels.

Thanks for any ideas.

- Chris

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
A conversion cassette is the only solution if you have a Shimano-branded hub. The cassettes are spaced to Campagnolo specifications but have Shimano spline patterns (and sometimes Shimano cogs as well).

There's not a bolt-on freehub shell with Campagnolo cassette splines for Shimano-branded hubs. Some aftermarket hubs will have this option though and allow you to convert with an easy (and relatively inexpensive) shell swap.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
If your hubs are DT Swiss 240S hubs, you can sway the the shell out for under $50

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Currently, the only "conversion" cassettes from the likes of Wheels Manufacturing and American Classic are 10 speed only.

Then it's a case of whether or not there is a Campy compatible freehub body for the particular hub in question. For many the answer is no. For those that are "convertible", it's a relatively cheap and easy switch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

Dirty Boy, the hub is Shimano (DA HB-7800), so the 240 option likely won't work for me...

Mike and Richard, I guess I should re-phrase my question to "if you know of an after-market hub body (shell) that would work, who is it made by & where can I get one?"

Thanks.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
There isn't a Campy compatible hub on the market that will work with the Shimano branded hubs. Especially the 7800.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
A somewhat heretical answer would be to just run 10-spd shimano cassettes with the Campy 11 spd setup - the spacing difference is only 0.1mm. Then get an 11 spd conversion cassette when they come out.

The only approach with currently available equipment would be to go 10 spd Campy and a conversion cassette.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Wheels Manufacturing has 11 speed conversion cassettes on their web site now. As far as where to actually buy one is probably the bigger question.

OP, what rear hub do you actually have now? If it is made by Shimano the only option is a conversion cassette, either 10 speed or 11 speed when they are available.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Mike Prince said:
Wheels Manufacturing has 11 speed conversion cassettes on their web site now. As far as where to actually buy one is probably the bigger question.

OP, what rear hub do you actually have now? If it is made by Shimano the only option is a conversion cassette, either 10 speed or 11 speed when they are available.
I just checked with QBP (who carry WM conversion cassettes) and they don't have the 11 - yet. But I anticipate the cost is going to be way up there considering the wholesale cost of the 10 is north of $140.

Strikes me that if one really wants to go Campy 11, rebuild or get a wheel that's Campy from the get go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DA FH-7800 (which is a Shimano Dura Ace rear hub) I looked at the Wheels Manufacturing website (thanks very much for directing me there, Mike) and it appears that they do sell a conversion option – I’m waiting for an email back from W.M. to confirm this and will update this thread when I hear.

[Sorry - in a post, above, I incorrectly described the hub as an HB-7800, which is the front hub; the rear hub, which is what we're discussing, is the FH-7800.]

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Richard said:
I just checked with QBP (who carry WM conversion cassettes) and they don't have the 11 - yet. But I anticipate the cost is going to be way up there considering the wholesale cost of the 10 is north of $140.

Strikes me that if one really wants to go Campy 11, rebuild or get a wheel that's Campy from the get go.
I agree, by time you spend a bunch of money on the conversion cassette or a shell swap, that money can buy a pretty nice Campy-comaptible hub (plus I like building wheels :))

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Oh, one thing that has been forgotten is the FH-7800 freehub is deep spline and works with Dura Ace 10 speed cassettes only.

So you are stuck with going with a different wheelset that accepts a Campy freehub body (Easton for example) or going with a Campy specific wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts