Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am building a stell Fondriest frame. I already have new Shimano Dura ace wheels that I intend to use. Also I have a chorus italian threaded BB and a 2006 10 speed chorus.I still need to buy the shifters,rear/front derailleurs,cassette and other less important decision matter like brakes,pedals etc.

I want to use campy shifters;I already know the existence of that device (J something??)that allows using the mixed components.I think about using an ultegra cassette with a large final cog like 27 maybe.

My questions: Could I use shimano derailleurs or do I have to stick with campy (genuine question not intending stirring a shimano vs campy argument here!).

Which chain should I use? I read chorus or records 10 speed crank NEED a campy C-10 chain....how will one of these go with the shimano cassette?

Nine speed components might be cheaper to buy...now is this 10 speed chorus (already acquired) crankset eventually going to work with everything 9 speed except the chain that I need to keep 10 speed?

thanks,Ron.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I would...

put all Campy parts on the bike, except for the wheels and cassette and then use the J-tek shiftmate to correct for the differnt cog spacing.

If these are DA 10 wheels, a 9 speed cassette is not an option, since the new DA splines won't accept a 9 speed cassette or any of the conversion cassettes that have 9-speed splines.

The chain is a toss up. The new Campy ultra narrow and the shimano 10 chains are virtually identical in width.

Forget about 9 speed. 10 speed has been the way to go since it was introduced in 2000.

Personally, I'd sell the shimano wheels and get something campy compatible, unless the shimano 12-27 is absolutely necessary to get the gearing range you want. Campy offers 12-25, 13-26 and 13-29, but no 12-27.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
if you really want shimano wheels (or shimano only compatible wheels) on a campagnolo bike, then i suggest a mavic cassette. they are light, don´t wear out and come with individual sprockets and two sets of spacers depending if your shifters andmechs are shimano or campag. I currently run centaur 10 speed shifters, front and rear mechs and chainset, with ksyrium SL wheels with a mavic 10 speed 13-26 cassette and a dura-ace 10 speed chain. works perfectly.

foz

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ron58 said:
Hello,

I am building a stell Fondriest frame. I already have new Shimano Dura ace wheels that I intend to use. Also I have a chorus italian threaded BB and a 2006 10 speed chorus.I still need to buy the shifters,rear/front derailleurs,cassette and other less important decision matter like brakes,pedals etc.

I want to use campy shifters;I already know the existence of that device (J something??)that allows using the mixed components.I think about using an ultegra cassette with a large final cog like 27 maybe.

My questions: Could I use shimano derailleurs or do I have to stick with campy (genuine question not intending stirring a shimano vs campy argument here!).

Which chain should I use? I read chorus or records 10 speed crank NEED a campy C-10 chain....how will one of these go with the shimano cassette?

Nine speed components might be cheaper to buy...now is this 10 speed chorus (already acquired) crankset eventually going to work with everything 9 speed except the chain that I need to keep 10 speed?

thanks,Ron.
Hi Ron
Though I can't point you to the zillions of posts, I looked at a Shimano/Campag mix for my new ride over the last six months or so. The final decider was that I prefer the shape of the Shimano shifter levers, so went Shimano.

BUT - the one big thing that came out of a lot of research is that a mix is likely to involve making combinations of stuff work that a bike shop may know nothing about and if you do run into a compatibility issue, you're on your ownsome. A fix could involve work, time, money or a lot of cussing and fussing when none of the above solve the issue :eek:

Another point to think of - down the road, you may need to fix or replace some part of a hybrid drivetrain. Would this put your bike off the road due to the odd nature of its make-up?

Ended up, after a lot of headscratching, I just bought all Shimano - that I had the wheels was a tipping point too - and lived with it. Sorry, Campag lovers, I can't get emotional about stuff behind me that just shifts an oily chain over a bunch of cogs. The 'former racer' in my spirit would rather it just get on, work and not bother me (but I will admit that my Shimano compact is not as attractive as a Campag Centaur alloy compact and that the present Record alloy crankset has to be the most beautiful crankset ever made ;) )

I'd go along with ten speed on account of that it's the coming thing and can see when it will 'take over' - however, if you're running an all Campag drivetrain, it seems they are prepared to take 9 speed legacy spares and service more seriously than Shimano, who will be out of the 'old stuff' as fast as possible.

Hope that helps

Dereck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dereck said:
Hi Ron
Though I can't point you to the zillions of posts, I looked at a Shimano/Campag mix for my new ride over the last six months or so. The final decider was that I prefer the shape of the Shimano shifter levers, so went Shimano.

BUT - the one big thing that came out of a lot of research is that a mix is likely to involve making combinations of stuff work that a bike shop may know nothing about and if you do run into a compatibility issue, you're on your ownsome. A fix could involve work, time, money or a lot of cussing and fussing when none of the above solve the issue :eek:

Another point to think of - down the road, you may need to fix or replace some part of a hybrid drivetrain. Would this put your bike off the road due to the odd nature of its make-up?

Ended up, after a lot of headscratching, I just bought all Shimano - that I had the wheels was a tipping point too - and lived with it. Sorry, Campag lovers, I can't get emotional about stuff behind me that just shifts an oily chain over a bunch of cogs. The 'former racer' in my spirit would rather it just get on, work and not bother me (but I will admit that my Shimano compact is not as attractive as a Campag Centaur alloy compact and that the present Record alloy crankset has to be the most beautiful crankset ever made ;) )

I'd go along with ten speed on account of that it's the coming thing and can see when it will 'take over' - however, if you're running an all Campag drivetrain, it seems they are prepared to take 9 speed legacy spares and service more seriously than Shimano, who will be out of the 'old stuff' as fast as possible.

Hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck,

Just one question:Are your STI shifters rattling on rougher roads? Rough roads are all there is around here...I don't have much experience riding but my athena 8 speed did not rattle at all while my low mileage ultegras have this annoying noise.I've read about DAs as silencious but somebody yesterday told me his aren't neither. Anubody here having "rattling" campys?

thanks,Ron.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ron58 said:
Dereck,

Just one question:Are your STI shifters rattling on rougher roads? Rough roads are all there is around here...I don't have much experience riding but my athena 8 speed did not rattle at all while my low mileage ultegras have this annoying noise.I've read about DAs as silencious but somebody yesterday told me his aren't neither. Anubody here having "rattling" campys?

thanks,Ron.
My 9 speed Ultegras are the older 'rattlers' on big bumps, haven't any bumpy time on the 10 speeds as yet. However, it takes a hefty bump - not like it's a constant clatter as I ride along.

These days, it's almost good to hear something besides my raspy, overstrained breathing ;)

To save anyone asking, my Campag riding buddies don't rattle over bumps! However, the regular clonks, clunks and mumblings thanks to, and over, regular gear shifting are heard from both sides of the continental divide ;)

Interesting sidenote - I sometimes pick up "Cycling Plus" - an English cycling-generally magazine we get hereabouts in Barnes & Noble. In one issue, their resident bike engineer describes putting a DA 10 spd wheel in a Campag drivetrain'd bike . His summation - no missed shifts, perhaps not as slick as with a 'native' cassette/wheel, but nothing that couldn't be tweaked out. Logic behind the experiment was that, regardless of make, 10 cogs have ended up in about the same space, so they have to be very close to the same spacing and can't be that much different in thickness...
Regards

Dereck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts