Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

im planning to do this silly projects. i did my findings online.

i have some doubts

Im doing 10 speed drive train compatibilty research

SRAM/Shimano/Campy shifters have different amounts cable pull.
Hence, cassette spacers are of different thickness.
i like Campy shifters alot, im planning to get them this time.
I read on 1 of the threads linking to Zinn: Campy/SRAM mix http://www.velonews.com/article/73404

so i have my own conclusion. Since it will work on Zinn's combination. Can i say Shimano 10 speed cassette will work on such mix-match project?
How about chainrings? i believe we must use 10 speed specific ones. So i can use almost any 10 speed specific brands of chainrings.

Rear derailleur, its a workhorse that shifters will tell it how much to pull. Must we really need to use the same brand of shifters?

i dont intend to spend alot on this project. So i try to go the Shimano way on the casstte, mayb SRAM Rival RD or even X9 shortcage.

please share your thoughts and reccomendations.

Thanks for reading

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
chan1974 said:
Hi guys

im planning to do this silly projects. i did my findings online.

i have some doubts

Im doing 10 speed drive train compatibilty research

SRAM/Shimano/Campy shifters have different amounts cable pull.
Hence, cassette spacers are of different thickness.
i like Campy shifters alot, im planning to get them this time.
I read on 1 of the threads linking to Zinn: Campy/SRAM mix http://www.velonews.com/article/73404

so i have my own conclusion. Since it will work on Zinn's combination. Can i say Shimano 10 speed cassette will work on such mix-match project?
How about chainrings? i believe we must use 10 speed specific ones. So i can use almost any 10 speed specific brands of chainrings.

Rear derailleur, its a workhorse that shifters will tell it how much to pull. Must we really need to use the same brand of shifters?

i dont intend to spend alot on this project. So i try to go the Shimano way on the casstte, mayb SRAM Rival RD or even X9 shortcage.

please share your thoughts and reccomendations.

Thanks for reading

Jtek shiftmate. Their website has a table that shows what works together with a shiftmate.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Shimano and SRAM cog spacing is 3.95mm and Campy's is 4.12. Both the shifter, and cassette must be matched for proper shifting. That means you can swap SRAM or Shimano cassettes, but that's it.

Zinn didn't take the time to measure the individual cable pulls when he wrote his article. Sram's cable pull is 3mm for every shift. Campy's is 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. Obviously, the first five shifts will come up short if a Campy shifter is used with a SRAM RD.

J-tek also knows this and admits that they can only modify the pull ratio, so the average Campy cable pull is closer to that of SRAM shifters. They can't magically make the shifter produce equal cable pulls, since that is designed into the shifter's index gear.

· mosca
168 Posts
C-40 said:
Shimano and SRAM cog spacing is 3.95mm and Campy's is 4.12. Both the shifter, and cassette must be matched for proper shifting. That means you can swap SRAM or Shimano cassettes, but that's it.

Zinn didn't take the time to measure the individual cable pulls when he wrote his article. Sram's cable pull is 3mm for every shift. Campy's is 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. Obviously, the first five shifts will come up short if a Campy shifter is used with a SRAM RD.

J-tek also knows this and admits that they can only modify the pull ratio, so the average Campy cable pull is closer to that of SRAM shifters. They can't magically make the shifter produce equal cable pulls, since that is designed into the shifter's index gear.

so, are you saying that Zinn's statements are pretty much bogus? He claims he runs it without Jtek and it works for him. I was going to run the same kind of setup. I have always had Shimano but after trying them, much prefer Campy shifters, but to do the whole group switch is costly.

· p != b
2,303 Posts
bnoojin said:
so, are you saying that Zinn's statements are pretty much bogus? He claims he runs it without Jtek and it works for him. I was going to run the same kind of setup. I have always had Shimano but after trying them, much prefer Campy shifters, but to do the whole group switch is costly.
All Zinn is saying is that he was able to make it work for him. That doesn't mean that it's perfect - just that it works. From C-40's numbers, Zinn must have found a sweet spot in there somewhere to make it work. Any bit of cable stretch, slip, seating, etc. will likely have a much larger effect than in a homogeneous setup, where you've got more leeway in adjustment.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my fren have a full Campy record setup and another fren have a full DA setup.

they did a rearwheel swap. no fine tunning on the shifters part. things work smoothly

Say if i have an old Campy or Shimano RD(7 or 8 spd) can i use on a 10 speed drive train? i believe we need to change the pulley wheels to 10 speed compatible

i remb reading somewhere in sheldon brown. RD is a workhorse as shifters tells it how much to pull. So it doesnt matter any brand of RD w any brand of shifters, right?

C40 u have been gd help on the other shim/campy/sram mix threads

the reason on why i want to choose SRAM Rival RD or even X9(MTB SRAM) its alu .. not carbon :D design are nice. have the shim ones but i have recently change my mtb setup to X-9 .. sweet!!!

X-9 and X-0 RD(MTB SRAM) does anyone use them on 10 speed shim/sram/campy brifters? esp in cyclocross season starts??

[9 spped mtb] X-9 n X-0 RD are on the 1:1 actuation. Non Shim MTB shifters compatible:citation needed?

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
What has worked for me:
Campy 10-speed shifters with pre-2001 derailleurs shifting over a Shimano 10-speed cassette.

I've heard that Campy 10-speed shifters with SRAM derailleurs does work well with Shimano/SRAM cassettes.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Squidward said:
What has worked for me:
Campy 10-speed shifters with pre-2001 derailleurs shifting over a Shimano 10-speed cassette.

I've heard that Campy 10-speed shifters with SRAM derailleurs does work well with Shimano/SRAM cassettes.
thanks Squid!

i think alot depends on how the RH shifter cable install to the RD. so some fine tunning may b needed ..

· Registered
81 Posts
Well I decided to try this too for the weight weenie reason. I run Campy Centaur Shifters with a Sram Red front der. It took a little bit of work with no barrel adjusters to fine tune it but it is dialed at this point. Have run for 2 months this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.