Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Campy Threadless 1" Headset Size

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bo_vk 
Yep, if you have a fork made in the last ten years it most likely uses the "Modern European" Standard, which is also know as 1" ISO standard (International Standards Organization or something like that.)

Although I have recently ran into two Italian built frames that use the JIS standard size, which were incompatible with my ISO Suntour Headset, so since it's the Crown Race size that was causing trouble I just hopped up to the LBS and got a cheap used fork, and it's fine now.

According to <a href="http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=600&Brand=60&type=T">Alfred E. Bike</a href>, the Campy Chorus and Record 1" threadless and threaded Headsets use the ISO Standard of 26.4 for the Crown Race. If your fork is 26.5 then it will work, but it will be VERY though to get the race on.

If you don't have the right tool to install the race my technique is to take a vice, put the race on the steerer and tighten the vice just to the size of the steerer (For one inch I'd place it at around 25.7 mm.) I place a section of wood on the underside of the crown, and whack it with a hammer till the race is seated. This way you don't damage the race by using a flat head screw driver and a hammer like some people I know. But please don't try this with a Carbon steerer tube, in fact, I'd be hesitant to do so with a Aluminum one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.