Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked a little bit online for information on this, but all I've really come up with is I don't know anything and I'm more confused than before. My bike is currently set up with Shimano 9-speed, but I just came across some campy wheels with cassette.

So my question is, what is the best way to approach this? Convert the wheels to shimano? How easy is it to switch the freehub body from campy to shimano and are there any tutorials online for this? I am a wrenching novice.

Also, there are multiple other options like the Shiftmate (http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm). Is this a decent option?

TIA

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
Why not just buy a Shimano compatible wheel? There are plenty in all price ranges.
Obviously an ideal situation. And I have multiple wheelsets that are Shimano compatible, however, I would like to try these wheels that I just got. And I wouldn't mind learning a little bit along the way.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Missing information

wiz525 said:
I just came across some campy wheels with cassette.

So my question is, what is the best way to approach this? Convert the wheels to shimano? How easy is it to switch the freehub body from campy to shimano and are there any tutorials online for this?
It would be quite helpful if you could tell us the brand/model of your "Campy" wheels. There likely is a replacement freehub body to convert them to Shimano, and that is your best bet for a simple and effective solution. Many report good experiences with the Shiftmate as well.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
It would be quite helpful if you could tell us the brand/model of your "Campy" wheels. There likely is a replacement freehub body to convert them to Shimano, and that is your best bet for a simple and effective solution. Many report good experiences with the Shiftmate as well.
The shimano hubs for campy wheels are ten speed only. The OP has nine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wheels are Campy Zondas. Sounds like I might just need to give the whole setup an upgrade....or stick with my Rolf Vigors that are Shimano compatible.

Thanks for the help guys. Any other info is greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.