Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I went through 'sticker shock' when I searched out pricing for the Campy Record chain and couldn't find one that wasn't 'Ultra' (hollow pins)....who the h3ll needs to worry about saving 2-3gms (if that much) when the body is 5-15# overweight?? Not to mention that the chain is accompanied by 15 PAGES of how to install the chain...Jeezzz, just push the pin out, install a quick-disconnect link and go on with life....are they trying to justify the price of the chain or is this just another "It's so special" because it's a Campy???? I guess the next 'improved' chain will require that the bike be shipped to Italy for installation

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Where did the lawyers come in?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope....15 pages for English

flakey said:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...Ultra+Narrow&vendorCode=CAMP&major=1&minor=11

non-hollow 5.9mm

The reason for the excessively large instruction booklet is because it is repeated in many different languages.
the actual instruction pages is about 3-4?. They give sizing instructions and then pin install instructions all with diagrams.
The enclosed manual is 99 pages for 6 languages.....and btw, I did just use the quick disconnect link which only required removing 1 pin.....the lawyers had to be the authors of the manual...just seems ridiculous waste of info to install a chain..why would anyone want to install a chain without a quick-disconnect link (i.e., for cleaning)???
btw..I got the Record chain for $47.99, so it was only $3 more than the (Excel) Chorus....the money isn't the real issue: I've got about $18,000 invested in 3 bikes ...the Manual for the chain install is almost unbelievable...

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I saw it differently

******* said:
First of all, I went through 'sticker shock' when I searched out pricing for the Campy Record chain and couldn't find one that wasn't 'Ultra' (hollow pins)....who the h3ll needs to worry about saving 2-3gms (if that much) when the body is 5-15# overweight?? Not to mention that the chain is accompanied by 15 PAGES of how to install the chain...Jeezzz, just push the pin out, install a quick-disconnect link and go on with life....are they trying to justify the price of the chain or is this just another "It's so special" because it's a Campy???? I guess the next 'improved' chain will require that the bike be shipped to Italy for installation
I think one of the advanatages of Campy are the good install directions. I had no problem attching the new Campy chain even without their silly tool. The Campy pin works pretty similarly to the Shimano hyperglide pin except its 2 pieces. Not sure where the lawyer comes in but protecting yourself against lawsuits makes good business sense to me in today's environment

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
silly rant...

The instuctions have been the same for several years. In a nutshell, it says to install the HD-L pin form the left side. If you drape the chain over the BB shell, you can use an ordinary chain tool to install the pin. The shimano version of the connex link will also join the UN chain.

Lots of places still have the old chain available. The Chorus version is only $42 at Licktons.

http://www.lickbike.com/sectionsublist.aspx?SECTION='0051'&SUBSECTION='050'&SECTIONNAME='Chains'&SUBSECTIONNAME='3/32in<br>5-10%20Speed'

If you really like the old chain, stock up real cheap at www.11speed.com, they're only $29 each.

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
It's simple, really...

I learned how to install the Campy chain in six languages. That way I don't miss a single detail and can properly install the chain in most of the EU. So if I pick up a chain in Italy, it's installed correctly with the Campy chain tool (also purchased in Italy)... in Italian. With the appropriate adjectives and local colloquialisms, too.
You really should hang around when I rebuild an Ergo brifter in Dutch. I have no idea how it's done in Japan.

·
Well-read hooligan
118 Posts
Why bother?

On my fourth Wipperman 10x1... works flawlessly. $50.

Hollow pins? Sigh. Pointless. Wipperman has been making chains for over 100 years.

I adore all of my Campy stuff (starting with my Nuevo Record RD from 1982) and believe that the current Ergo controllers are the most perfect thing ever, BUT seriously ...

It's one of those components that I won't even consider changing. Just like
Thompson Elite seat post
Airone Saddle
Deda Newton shallow Italian bend bars
Campy FD, RD, and controllers
Cinelli cork tape
Ciussi Elite cages
Handmade wheels

Zero room for negotiation on these.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.