Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was covered last week in another thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=56500

but I'll post my experience separately. I just put on a new Chorus Ultra-Narrow 10 speed chain and used the Wipperman Connex Shimano-compatible link to join it. As reported by C-40 and others, the fit of the link on this chain is very good. On the stand it required no adjustment from my previous setup (Wipperman stainless 10X1 chain) and it ran smooth and silent. I rode it today for 140 km, on a mix of flat/rolling terrain with some steep climbs. It shifted well and ran quiet, and after some cross-chained efforts on short, steep climbs I have no fears about the connection. In comparison to the Wipperman it replaced, I think the Campy UN shifts a little better. There is definitely less noise during downshifting (shifting to larger cogs).

I went to the new Campy chain after this thread from last week:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=58750

I have used the Wipperman stainless 10X1 10spd chain for the past 2 years exclusively. I have not had any problems, but after reading this thread and seeing some reviews on the Excel Sports website I decided to have a closer look. The bike that just got the Campy Chorus UN chain previously had a Wipperman 10X1 that had been used for 3000 km. I inspected it closely and while I see no cracks that look significant, there are some markings that look like scratches that run longitudinally from the rivets toward the center of the link. They appear on 6 or 7 of the links. The marks definitely run right to the hole where the rivet runs through. It is hard to say if they are the beginnings of a crack, but at the same time they don't look like random scratches in the surface either.

One other bike has a Wipperman that has about 70 hours on it (~2100 km). This one only shows one scratch/crack like above. Again it propagates from the rivet hole longitudinally along the link to the midpoint of the link. I tried to get some pictures, but I was unable to get anything that reasonably represented the marks.

My question to others who have cracked/broken the Wipperman stainless chains - where did they fracture? A Google search showed pics of a 9spd stainless chain and the cracks were radial from the rivet hole outwards to the edge of the link. As I said above, I cannot say the marks on my chains are for certain the start of cracks, but a the same time they seem to not be random scratches either.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I'd take a look at an unused Wipperman stainless chain as a comparison. I also changed to a Campy Veloce Ultra narrow with the Connex link. I was using an IRD chain previously and was having front shifting problems. Can't say I notice any difference in shifting either front or rear with the new chain. Same problems. Not any quieter either, but the IRD was not noisy. Still gotta get the front derailleur/crank problems sorted out. I changed the BB this winter for other reasons and will try going back to the old Chorus BB to see if it makes a difference.

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info

Mel Erickson said:
I'd take a look at an unused Wipperman stainless chain as a comparison.
Yeah, that's a good idea and actually easy to do since I have one new in box at home. Interestingly, I have a very old Wipperman stainless at home for some reason. This one probably has 7000 km on it, first used on my race bike and then on my winter (rain) bike. I saw none of the same suspicious markings that I see on my newer Wipperman chains.

Also, the plates appear visually different on the older chain. This chain was probably bought in early 2004 which means it was likely 2003 production. The current chains I have were bought late 2005, probably 2005 production. The older chain has slightly different stamping of the "Wipperman" and "Connex" on the links, the lettering is both more narrow and not as deep. Also, the profiling of the sideplates is slightly different - the newer chains have slightly longer/deeper angular sections on the top of rounded sections (if that makes sense).

Definitely a 2003 Wipperman 10X1 is not the same as a 2005/06.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.