Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hard time finding a specific puller for the bearings that are press fitted on the UT cranks.

So, I thought I would pass along what I did for those that might also need to change their bearings.

At Sears you can buy a "Posi Lock model 103 gear and bearing puller. It retails for $49.00. After you bring it home you will need to file down the profile on the claws so that they catch the underside of the bearings on the crank arms. I used a dremel and a grinding stone to complete the task.

After doing so the tool worked flawlessly.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
yes, and a caution

raymonda said:
I had a hard time finding a specific puller for the bearings that are press fitted on the UT cranks.

So, I thought I would pass along what I did for those that might also need to change their bearings.

At Sears you can buy a "Posi Lock model 103 gear and bearing puller. It retails for $49.00. After you bring it home you will need to file down the profile on the claws so that they catch the underside of the bearings on the crank arms. I used a dremel and a grinding stone to complete the task.

After doing so the tool worked flawlessly.
Did the same thing with a 3 jaw puller I bought at Sears for $49 (probably the same one).

A big caution/reminder -- I was having one helluva time getting the drive side bearing off; just about blew the puller apart trying. Then, I remembered that there's a little retaining ring next to the bearing -- oops. Came right off after I took that off. Other side has no retaining ring.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe around $10-15.00. However, there isn't a bike shop around me that has any experience with UT Cranks. The two best ones have onlt had experience with installing my cranks, not pulling the bearings.

This way I have the tool I need and can can or grease the bearing when I want to. Plus, I trust my work.

· Registered
83 Posts
A much easier way of installing your bearings and much less likely to damage them:

Bake them. 150deg F for 30min to an hour on a cookie sheet. The inner and outer races of the bearing expand at the same rate and the overall thermal growth is about .002-.003" for a bearing this size. Perfect to allow a drop on fit of the bearing. Just uh...make sure you use gloves...:D

A caution though, some brands of grease break down around that temp and will ooze out...sort of defeats the purpose.

This is the way we change bearings on large machines which typically have to have an arbor press to pull them off because they have a bearing diameter .001-.002" smaller than the shaft it goes on.

Worked great for my unplanned PowerTap rebuild as well... (just don't bake the electronics).:idea:

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
charlieboy said:
you're my kind of wrench! a few bits of wood and whatever - who needs fancy tools?

Just wondering where you got the replacement bearings - hard to find a useful source in UK
Google "campagnolo ultra torque bearings" and you'll get a number of hits; OEM Campy bearings run around $25, and hybrid ceramic (what I bought) around $53 now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.