Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post some photos of what a Campy rear hub looks like? I ordered a set of Fulcrum wheels from biketiresdirect.com (for a great price), but the rear hub does not look like what I'm use to seeing (I ride Shimano). I contacted biketiresdirect and was advised that the new Shimano 10 speed hub was more "shaved down" than the older hub. I did try placing the first cog combo (three biggest cogs) on the wheel and seemed to have a lot of play. I have not, however, put on an entire cassette to see if, once snugged down, the play goes away (I cannot imagine it would).

Anyhow, any/all help would be great. I've searched the forum and the web for hub photos, but have not seen one that looks like what I've been sent. Next move will be to take the wheel by a local shop and see what they have to say about it. No one local carries Fulcrum, as far as I know.

Thanks.
mike

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
To explain the above pic.

Current 10 speed Campagnolo freehub.
Note the wider ridge at 7 and stepped ridge at 9 o'clock. Note the thinner
splines (valley) at 8 and 10 o'clock. Designed for Campagnolo 10 speed
cassettes. The thinner splines insure proper cog orientation.

Fits ALL Campagnolo 9 and 10 speed cassettes. May be retrograded for use
with 8 speed drivetrains by employing a Campagnolo 9 speed loose cog
cassette, dropping a cog and adding Wheels Mfg Shift-8 spacers.

On this body and some 9 speed bodies Campagnolo curved three valleys to
save weight. The trimming did not affect cog fit.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Yes, I tried the first 3 cogs -aluminum carrier - on a new DA 7850 wheelset. It feels very loose. 'Shaved down' probably means - shallow splines which can take 9 speed Shimano sprockets. I know there is or was a 9 speed DA version. But I should expect this late model brand new Shimano wheelset, for example, to accommodate a 10 speed perfectly.

So : if your casette fits with a lot of play, it is maybe not all that unusual. The play will disappear when you tighten down the lockring.

But be sure to :

1) use a correct (Steel) spacer between hub and cassette
2) torque it all down properly.
3) take it easy pedalling the 27 tooth (just kidding)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Looks like what I've got is a 8,9,10 speed Shimano hub.
Sort of perfered the 10 speed only hub on my older set of
Fulcrums. Oh well. That one required a Campy lockring, but had a
nice loud click. This one uses a Shimano lockring, so must be Shimano!

Put a whole cassette on, with the steel spacer, snugged it down and
it all worked.

Thanks for the quick responses.

mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.