Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need/want a set of 'training wheels". My deal to buy a rear only Vento wheel fell through...bummer. (Post over on the general board about "wheel fashion") Now I'm thinking about buying a Vento wheelset from 11speed.com for $147.

Opinions?? I read the reviews but most reviews are from guys who have owned the wheels for a week or two....useless. I know the 2005 version is heavy (2000g), the 2006 version lighter (1750g) but I really don't care since these are training wheels anyway. I weigh in at 190lbs dropping to 185lb by mid season. Any problem with that odd spoking pattern?? Special tools needed?? From the review I read, it seems the wheels are bombproof. Please don't tell me to just buy a set of Campy/OP's. I have a pair on my second bike. Great wheels but the Vento's at $147 are cheaper.

Input??

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a pair of 2004 (same as the 2005 I believe) and a set of 2006. I like them both. The 04s were tanks. The 2006 are significantly lighter as you know. They are my training wheels too, so I too don't care about the weight, but I just thought I'd let you know it is noticable when you lift them up. I use the 2004 for my cyclocross bike now, still there are no issues.

The 2006 have a near-silent freehub and a great braking survface. My only issue with them is that on the 2006 it is very difficult to mount a tire. Very difficult. Reminds me of the old Omegas that were really tough to mount.

I got mine from 11speed.com too. With shipping they came in just under $200 for the pair.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11 speed

euro-trash said:
I have a pair of 2004 (same as the 2005 I believe) and a set of 2006. I like them both. The 04s were tanks. The 2006 are significantly lighter as you know. They are my training wheels too, so I too don't care about the weight, but I just thought I'd let you know it is noticable when you lift them up. I use the 2004 for my cyclocross bike now, still there are no issues.

The 2006 have a near-silent freehub and a great braking survface. My only issue with them is that on the 2006 it is very difficult to mount a tire. Very difficult. Reminds me of the old Omegas that were really tough to mount.

I got mine from 11speed.com too. With shipping they came in just under $200 for the pair.
Shipping?? Guestimate on shipping to the US?? The Vento's on 11speed are the 2006's. Now I have to find a way to buy them and ship them home without Mrs. Paulcl finding out. Not that she'd care all that much, its' just that I bought a pair of lightweight wheels last Fall.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
PaulCL said:
Shipping?? Guestimate on shipping to the US??
They were under $200 to the U.S. including shipping. Might as well order some chains and cassettes while you are ordering. They'll just throw them in the same box.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought'em

euro-trash said:
They were under $200 to the U.S. including shipping. Might as well order some chains and cassettes while you are ordering. They'll just throw them in the same box.
$58 shipping. Better than Probikekit who wanted to charge $133 for the wheelset, $15 shipping plus an $84 shipping surcharge for wheels. Whoa!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts