Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts, and preferably experience, on the relative merits of these two compact cranks? I believe the Campy Chorus Compact is fifty or more dollars than the FSA MegaExo and then the Campy need a bottom bracket. FWIW, I like the looks of the Campy better but is there a performance difference?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
why a compact???

There's a compact crank question nearly every day, sometimes several times a day on his forum. For a Campy user, I just see no advantage at all. About all a 50/34 does is create an annoying increase in the cogs to be shifted after every chainring shift.

I personally think that both products are certainly pricey, particularly the Campy carbon cranks. Obviously the outboard bearing FSA BB will be stiffer, but no one has yet shown that this produces any power advantage. Many pros continue to win races on Campy cranks (but they don't use compacts).

As for shifting, you know that Campy's crank will be spot on. I have only tried FSA in the conventional 53/39/28 triple. Both of mine work just fine on a Campy 10 drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
KarlW said:
Any thoughts, and preferably experience, on the relative merits of these two compact cranks? I believe the Campy Chorus Compact is fifty or more dollars than the FSA MegaExo and then the Campy need a bottom bracket. FWIW, I like the looks of the Campy better but is there a performance difference?
Excel is selling the "non Mega", original carbon compact crank for $177 if you are interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts