Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the move and switched over from ultegra to chorus. My bike rep strongly suggested that I use a wipperman chain, as opposed to the campy. When I got online today and read some comments under the review section, they were awful. Tons of people were mentioning how awful the chains were. What has been everyone's experience with campy and wipperman? Should I stick with my original purchase and keep the wipperman, or should I contact them before they order the parts on Monday and get the campy chain? Thanks.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Campy

prs77 said:
...My bike rep strongly suggested that I use a wipperman chain, as opposed to the campy...
Why? Have they had problems with the Campy chains? Do the guys at the LBS actually ride Campy? Do the guys at the LBS actually ride a bike?

I have been using Campy chains since I went to 10s without any problems and long wear. My current Campy chain probably has over 5,000 miles and I just measured it last week and it is still going strong. My son probably has over 4,000 miles on his Campy chain which includes racing most weekends and his bad habit of crosschaining more than he should. I have not found a reason not to use the Campy chain.

Timely excerpt from this weeks RoadBikeRider.com newsletter:

2. Uncle Al: Chain Reaction o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o

I just had this revelation -- hallelujah! -- that I'd like to share with you: Why not use the chain that's designed specifically for the drive system on your bike?

Instead of trying to figure out which Brand X chain you can use with your Campagnolo 10-speed system, or if a Shimano 9s chain will work on an old Campy 8s system, just use the chain made for the job. Sound simple? It's not that easy...

...Buy the best chain you can afford and then keep it clean and lubed....
If your LBS is installing your new groupo and will be responsible for getting it tuned to your satisfaction you may want to go with their recommendation, but I would ask them why and evaluate how they answer.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Why? Have they had problems with the Campy chains? Do the guys at the LBS actually ride Campy? Do the guys at the LBS actually ride a bike?

I have been using Campy chains since I went to 10s without any problems and long wear. My current Campy chain probably has over 5,000 miles and I just measured it last week and it is still going strong. My son probably has over 4,000 miles on his Campy chain which includes racing most weekends and his bad habit of crosschaining more than he should. I have not found a reason not to use the Campy chain.

Timely excerpt from this weeks RoadBikeRider.com newsletter:

If your LBS is installing your new groupo and will be responsible for getting it tuned to your satisfaction you may want to go with their recommendation, but I would ask them why and evaluate how they answer.

the old first generation 10-spd Campy chains had a short lifespan; may people reported them crapping out at about 1500-2000 miles. The more recent version is better.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Campy.

I've never used a Wipperman with the exception that I do use a Connex to make it easier to remove the chain for cleaning or just maintenance. Both the C-10 and Ultra shift excellent and have very good chain life. I have not tried the new Ultra narrow chain. I get about three thousand miles out of a chain and may replace it a little prematurely but I do have one Record ti/steel ten speed cassette with over 10,000 miles on it that continues to shift well without skipping, maybe it's more frequent chain replacement that I'm getting that kind of life out of it.

I just started using a KMC X10SL chain on one bike and it shifts just as well the Campy chains and is supposed to have longer life. I only have about 300 miles so far so I can't comment. The KMC runs as quiet as the Campy chains.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have almost 5000 miles on a whipperman stainless, and it shows very little wear. I suppose one couldn't use the connex link with the new ultra narrow chains - perhaps that is why campy is making the ultra narrow...

·
Registered
55 Posts
My experience...

I put thousands of trouble free miles on a stainless steel Wipperman 10 speed chain, removing and cleaning it thoroughly every thousand miles or so and lubing with Prolink about every 200. Now I'm running a Campy Ultra Narrow with a Conex Link, over 3,000 miles so far with no sign of wear. Again, removing the chain to thoroughly clean every thousand miles and re-lubing every 200 or so miles.

·
Registered
732 Posts
OrbeaXLR8R said:
I put thousands of trouble free miles on a stainless steel Wipperman 10 speed chain, removing and cleaning it thoroughly every thousand miles or so and lubing with Prolink about every 200. Now I'm running a Campy Ultra Narrow with a Conex Link, over 3,000 miles so far with no sign of wear. Again, removing the chain to thoroughly clean every thousand miles and re-lubing every 200 or so miles.
The Connex link works with the ultra narrow? I thought they would not since the Whipperman is 6.2mm and the narrow is 5.9mm. Maybe I'll have to try...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was kind or worried about that...but tried the Connex link with the ultra narrow chain and didn't have any problems on the first ride. Been using it since with no trouble. If Campy goes to narrower cassette spacing (no reason to, unless it's 12 speed)...the conventional Connex link will be toast!

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
OrbeaXLR8R said:
I was kind or worried about that...but tried the Connex link with the ultra narrow chain and didn't have any problems on the first ride. Been using it since with no trouble. If Campy goes to narrower cassette spacing (no reason to, unless it's 12 speed)...the conventional Connex link will be toast!
So your using the 6.2 connex? or did you use the narrower shimano 10 6.0? I'm switching to the ultra narrow and am on the fence on using either the 6.2 or the 6.0. Anyone try the connex 6.0 with campy ultra narrow?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
measure it...

The standard connex link will be a sloppy fit on the ultra narrow chian, since, it's .010 inch narrower between the inner plates.

Even the shimano version may be wider than is proper, but I have found no one able to provide an accurate measurement.

FWIW, the ultra narrow is .145 inch wide across the inner plates, compare dot .155 fro the old design.

To comment on the original poster's question, I found wipperman chains to be noisy. You can't beat a campy chain for longevity or low noise. I've used the campy 10 chain since the earliest days (2000 model year) and always get excellent life. I have one chain with 5500 miles on it that's about 1/4 of the way to the 1/16" per foot maximum elongation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Connex 6.05 w/ultra narrow chain

I have just finished converting from a 9sp Campy to 10sp and have installed a Chorus ultra narrow chain with the Connex Shimano 10sp (6.05mm) link. The fitup to the ultra narrow chain seems perfect, no slop and goes undetectable when pedaled. Albeit, I have not put the bike on the road yet (hopefully within the next couple of days if it warms up a bit here in New England) but have been pedaling quit a bit setting up my new derailleurs and all is quiet and nice. I bought the new Connex shimano 10sp link at Excel Sports for $9.95. I'll write again after I've been on the road a bit.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I just started using a KMC X10SL chain on one bike and it shifts just as well the Campy chains and is supposed to have longer life. I only have about 300 miles so far so I can't comment. The KMC runs as quiet as the Campy chains.
I too have installed a KMC 10-speed chain on my Centaur-equipped bike. KMC makes two versions - the "Campy compatible" DX10 and the "Shimano compatible" DX10s. The difference is the width, the DX10 being 6.1mm, while the DX10s is 5.9mm.

Inasmuch as the new Campy Ultra is 5.9mm, I decided to try the narrower DX10s. While I have very limited miles so far, the verdict is positive. The drivetrain is extremely quiet and it shifts beautifully. It also seems less finicky about adjustment than the original Campy 10 chain (one of the reasons Campy gave for developing the Ultra chain.)

KMC claims these chains to be very "stretch-proof", but that remains to be seen. However, KMC is very popular with the BMX crowd who are notoriously hard on chains, so perhaps they have something here.

Finally, KMC provides a dedicated reuseable "master-link" with the chain, obviating the need to spring for a Wipperman or Superlink at about $10 a pop. The KMC's retail for $40.00 US at our shop making them very price-competitive.

Now only the miles will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts