Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I have a set of Campy Zonda wheels with a Shimano compatible hub. Trying to get the new 9000 group to fit, but the freewheel hub is too short. Am I hosed, or is there an easy solution, such as an 11 speed compatible hub?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Hi guys - I have a set of Campy Zonda wheels with a Shimano compatible hub. Trying to get the new 9000 group to fit, but the freewheel hub is too short. Am I hosed, or is there an easy solution, such as an 11 speed compatible hub?
The term you should be using is freehub body. That is the splined body onto which the cassette cogs slide. It is not your hub that is Shimano compatible, it's your freehub body.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right - still too short though. I've set it up for the time being with the 11 speed cassette, but removed the last cog and replaced it with a spacer that allowed the lock ring to seat in properly.

Adjusted the limit screws so I only use 10 speeds, but it still uses all the other benefits of the 9000 group. Shifts and glides like butter!

Waiting now for an 11 speed hub body so I can put the last cog on and retune the RD.

On the surface it would appear problem solved. I'll report back when I get all the final parts mounted.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Campy makes an 11spd S conversion for your hub? If so, how much did it cost?

Because the cassette is wider, you will need different axle spacers and a redish as well.

I like you solution of removing one cog...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 11 sp hub I found is around $90. Not sure I'll need anything else - the wheel itself is made so it can take a Campy 11 speed setup. Looks like there is at least another 8 mm of clearance beyond the current hub near the wheel and 5 mm on the outside.

The current 10 sp works like a charm, so if everything fails I'll just stick to that until I can afford a set of new wheels...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.