Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 Bianchi Veloce is getting a little long in the tooth, but I just got a new mtb this spring, so a new bike is out of the question, at least for the short term.

Spokes on the back wheel have started popping on me, so I'm starting to think about a new wheelset. I need a strong/cheap/light (in that order - I weigh 205!), campy 9 speed compatible wheelset.

Any suggestions? I will most likely purchase through my shop, cause they take pretty good care of me. What do you think I'm going to spend (ballpark)?

Should I just have the hub rebuilt?

Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Depends on your $$ committment...

First, if you haven't done bearings since '02, it is time to do the whole bike, regardless of your choice of wheels.

Second, at your weight, it seems like a re-build of your wheel with Mavic Open Pro rims and new spokes would be a good idea. If your hubs are not quality items, treat yourself to some Chorus hubs. Use 32 holes. That would be a fantastic wheel. I used Mavic CXP-33, which are slightly aero, and stronger, on my wheels. Either rim would be slick.

If you must get a "new" wheel, have yours repaired and touched up as a second set, and just get an Open Pro/Chorus wheel. Cheap, light, and tough.

burpee said:
My '02 Bianchi Veloce is getting a little long in the tooth, but I just got a new mtb this spring, so a new bike is out of the question, at least for the short term.

Spokes on the back wheel have started popping on me, so I'm starting to think about a new wheelset. I need a strong/cheap/light (in that order - I weigh 205!), campy 9 speed compatible wheelset.

Any suggestions? I will most likely purchase through my shop, cause they take pretty good care of me. What do you think I'm going to spend (ballpark)?

Should I just have the hub rebuilt?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
At your weight get CXP 33 and Chorus hubs. If you ride rough roads and/or you hammer alot get a 36 spoke rear. The wheel wont be indestructible but its about as close as you can get and still have something resembling a bicycle wheel. More $$ wont buy you more strength and stiffness... only lower weight.

If money is really tight you could go with a cheaper hubset but Chorus is relatively affordable and they are very high quality. Record gets you a bit less weight (Ti in place of Al cassette body) and a grease port of limited use. I'm not so sure I'd go with Open Pros. I've had the eyelets pull through them (admittedly on a lower spoke count wheel). They wont be as stiff as CXP 33's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts