Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they have justified their G3 spoking from an engineering perspective, but I just can't seem to get used to the aesthetics. Anyone feel the same?

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
gizzard said:
I know they have justified their G3 spoking from an engineering perspective, but I just can't seem to get used to the aesthetics. Anyone feel the same?
It has worn on me. Campy has a stellar record so the design at least works. I don't think for a second that is is superior to a standard build, but it's not inferior either.

There are many ways to skin the cat these days.

-Eric

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
I'm a semi retro grouch.

I like all black tires and handlebars tape but the G3 is what prompted me to buy my Eurus wheelset. I love the look and it does work. Is it better than standard lacing? No!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trueing?

What's it like when trying to true a G3-laced wheel. Logically it would seem quite a challenge especially between the three-spoke clusters. Is this the case?

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
gizzard said:
What's it like when trying to true a G3-laced wheel. Logically it would seem quite a challenge especially between the three-spoke clusters. Is this the case?
It chouldn't be a problem. The concept of truing and properely tension a wheel is the same. The rim has to be much stiffer in order to insure it is straight in between the clusters.

-Eric

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Trueing is easy. Just match the tension in the 2 drive side spokes when done and re-check. I do it by ear, they are quite musical wheels.

All of the pros riding Boras can't be wrong. Besides, I can't see it when I'm riding so why should this bother me? If it bothers you aesthetically, you should spend more time riding your bike than simply looking at it ;)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,677 Posts
gizzard said:
Ihave yet to have any need to apply spoke wrenches to my Zondas:)

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I like it. With a radial front wheel it looks mean.

I also like campy's clean, round hub, instead of shimano / mavic's weird club looking thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Ihave yet to have any need to apply spoke wrenches to my Zondas:)
Ya I've put about 7k miles on my 03 Eurus wheels and have not had to true them. And there are some pretty crappy roads here in Sonoma county...........

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spinning out

Spunout
I don’t remember mentioning, or insinuating for that matter, that I have a set of G3-laced wheels. It was simply an observation regarding the aesthetics of the design. I was merely voicing an opinion about Campy’s G3 lacing, which, ostensibly is what blogs are all about i.e. people voicing opinions.
Quite how the amount of time I spend riding my bikes will affect my appreciation of the aesthetics of G3-laced wheels is difficult to fathom. The correlation, at best, is negligible. I ride between 350 and 400 miles per week – you may ride more or you may ride less, although frankly I don’t give a flying f…which it is – just don’t presume to tell me to spend more time riding and less time looking.
Some may like the aesthetics and some may not. Let’s just leave it at that, Champ.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
As many others here.

gizzard said:
Over 7,000 miles on my 04's and they have never seen a trueing wrench. They have seen plenty of potholes. I use them as my winter and roller wheels since the hubs are so easy to rebuild with standard ball bearings.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quality assured

Juan
With a glowing endorsement like that there is little doubt as to the overall quality and user-friendliness of Campy's G3-laced wheels. In fact I would venture that all Campy wheels are top-quality products. The only thing I don't like is the way they look. I still can't get used to the three-spoke clusters. I far prefer the aesthetics of Protons (I have a pair myself), Neutrons and Hyperons. I suppose it boils down to personal preference; some like 'em, some don't.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Winner,

gizzard said:
I don’t remember mentioning, or insinuating for that matter, that I have a set of G3-laced wheels. It was simply an observation regarding the aesthetics of the design. I was merely voicing an opinion about Campy’s G3 lacing, which, ostensibly is what blogs are all about i.e. people voicing opinions.
Apologies, then I suggest that you buy what looks best. And post it on a blog somewhere. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts