Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
well..if that is it, they no longer have the "appearance factor" over Shimano....with that HUGE bulbous head..sigh, too bad.....

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Centaur?????

· Registered
10,161 Posts
boo hoo..

They don't look any uglier to me than the competitor's offerings for '09. What really matters is how they compare in feel and function. Like most new things, you'll get used to the look. If not, buy one of the other brands.

What's more interesting to me is the functional changes. Will Centaur and lower levels still use the escape mechanism? :cryin: Is there a brake reach adjuster under that larger bulb?:) Will the three top level shifters hold other surprises, as rumored?

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Centaur?????
me?.....no actually I am riding on 2005 veloce 9 speed, triple......which I dearly love...I'd buy another in a heartbeat...I never want to put carbon back on my Bianchi...anywhere...

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
C-40 said:
They don't look any uglier to me than the competitor's offerings for '09.
yeah BUT...they USED to be BETTER looking.......not being any uglier is a poor compromise....LOL

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Really, this cog-war is far more pointless than HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray.

I *NEED* to stoke up on 10s alloy NOS hardware.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
let me see if I am understanding this correctly.....an 10 speed cogset with a double front nets 20 total gears, they added a rear cog to get to 22 gears........OK....I am running a 9 speed with a triple front and have 27 gears (and yes, I can use ALL of them with no chain rub if absolutely necessary.) So.......I have 5 MORE gears than the 11 speed....

Now, I am under the impression that a LOT of people won't use a triple because it is considered a fashion faux paux.....well, seeing as these new 11 speed shifters are butt ugly, how is this any kind of improvement ?

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
C-40 said:
Will the three top level shifters hold other surprises, as rumored?
Like what? SR, Rec and Chourus will all be 11 speed. That's confrimed. Comfirmend CB for SR.

I am pretty sure I will NOT like the shap of the new hoods. I do like the levers though. Those hoods are ugly.

Funny, but Shimnao hoods went more towards Campy and Campy went more towards Shimano. The more I hear from the inside and and what I am seeing from campy, the more I think they WILL be in trouble soon.

Luckily my RECOD drivetrains is fairly new. The sad part is the rumored prices for Super Record. Like $3500US+

· Registered
10,161 Posts
like what???

I wish I could say. It's Yansphan who's hinting at other changes due to patent expiration on the shifters. I just hope the change is not to the limited function escape mechanism.

Campy will be in trouble?? That won't happen unless the 11 speed system doesn't function as well as Campy products have in the past. The new parts should generate a lot of sales and might give Campy an excuse to raise the price of their shifters, closer to the competition (bad for us, but more profit for Campy). SRAM's getting by with that scheme, charging $550 for Red shifters.

Rumored prices for Super Record are meaningless. All the group offers is a few ceramic bearings. If they charge several times what they are worth, then vote with your wallet and ignore that offering. You can change any existing Record bearing to ceramic yourself, if desired. Chorus will continue to offer the best overall value of the top three.

When I wanted a compact crankset this year, I looked at Record, but it cost $200 more and it's only 30-40 grams lighter. Not a good value, IMO, so I chose Chorus. Same story with the FD - litle difference for too much money. I did buy some '08 Record brakes, because I wanted black brakes to replace my '03 silver brakes.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
I have no problem with them....I prefer function over form personally.

I like Shimano shifters in part because of that large growth on top of the shifter. They give me an extra hand position and I use it a lot, especially when hammering. When I'm hammering hard, I can use those to hold onto the bar and lay my forearms on the bar tops/end of the hoods for a nice low position on the bike....almost a TT position.

I can't do that with current Campy or SRAM shifters...at least not comfortably.

If it works...that's all I care about...to many fashion police these days and not enough that are actually looking for functional equipment.

I like the change personally.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.