Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Schwinn Super Sport flat-bar road-bike, came with SX4 trigger shifter & SX4 rear dearilleur.

I have 1700 miles on it. During the last 200 miles, there are problems with rear shifting. Right now, I try to shift to a bigger cog..& a few seconds later (sometimes), when I apply pedal pressure, it goes CLUNK..back to the smaller cog. I played with the tension adjuster on the rear-shifter, but it doesn't seem to help. Something really weird happened yesterday, the chain just FROZE while changing the front chainrings. I had to change rear gears for it to go away.

Is it possible for the SX4 trigger shifter to just wear out? I have a spare X.5 trigger shifter I can install.

· Banned
14,487 Posts
Anything can wear out, but that shifter didn't. You need to 'play with' the tension adjuster some more, preferably on a workstand, not on the fly.

chimpanzee00 said:
I have a Schwinn Super Sport flat-bar road-bike, came with SX4 trigger shifter & SX4 rear dearilleur.

I have 1700 miles on it. During the last 200 miles, there are problems with rear shifting. Right now, I try to shift to a bigger cog..& a few seconds later (sometimes), when I apply pedal pressure, it goes CLUNK..back to the smaller cog. I played with the tension adjuster on the rear-shifter, but it doesn't seem to help. Something really weird happened yesterday, the chain just FROZE while changing the front chainrings. I had to change rear gears for it to go away.

Is it possible for the SX4 trigger shifter to just wear out? I have a spare X.5 trigger shifter I can install.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.