Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm quite new to road riding, my bike came with the new 3T Discus C35 pro wheels, they seem to roll well but without really lowering tire pressures they feel really harsh on slightly rough roads.

I wonder long term if I would be better swapping them out for a wheel with a lower profile? I tend to ride hilly rides about 20-30 miles. At 56 no spring chicken so won't be racing, just looking for advise if a plush feeling wheels exist and should I change the 3T out?
My tyres are GP4000's.

Cheers Phil

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Hi

I'm quite new to road riding, my bike came with the new 3T Discus C35 pro wheels, they seem to roll well but without really lowering tire pressures they feel really harsh on slightly rough roads.

I wonder long term if I would be better swapping them out for a wheel with a lower profile? I tend to ride hilly rides about 20-30 miles. At 56 no spring chicken so won't be racing, just looking for advise if a plush feeling wheels exist and should I change the 3T out?
My tyres are GP4000's.

Cheers Phil
Oh I'm sure there will be some compliance differences in rim depths but look at it this way - a rim can only deflect so much before spoke tension is reduced to zero and at that point you're getting into trouble. So the deflection can probably be measured in thousandths of an inch or a millimeter or so.

Compare that to the average tire that can compress anywhere from half an inch to an inch or so. That's light years more than rim deflection.

Pneumatic tires were designed for a reason - to cushion the ride and we must use this fine feature. Tailor your tire pressures to you and your roads. For me at 175lbs and my roads and my 25mm tires that's about 80f/90r. It's comfort heaven.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but when I switched from Oval 330 wheels to Shimano C50 wheels, the C50 has a much soother ride.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
Oh I'm sure there will be some compliance differences in rim depths but look at it this way - a rim can only deflect so much before spoke tension is reduced to zero and at that point you're getting into trouble. So the deflection can probably be measured in thousandths of an inch or a millimeter or so.

Compare that to the average tire that can compress anywhere from half an inch to an inch or so. That's light years more than rim deflection.

Pneumatic tires were designed for a reason - to cushion the ride and we must use this fine feature. Tailor your tire pressures to you and your roads. For me at 175lbs and my roads and my 25mm tires that's about 80f/90r. It's comfort heaven.
^^^This^^^

Contrary to what many may tell you, higher pressure isn't always faster. Because I ride a more upright position, I have found the sweet spot to be 75F/100R. Wider tires allow you to use lower pressures. If your bike came with 23mm tires, you may want to look at 25mm or 28mm, but make sure they will fit before you buy. Use this link below and fill in values in the 2nd box to get a guideline on what pressures you should be using:

Bicycle tire pressure calculator

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but when I switched from Oval 330 wheels to Shimano C50 wheels, the C50 has a much soother ride.
Is that anecdotal "princess and the pea" evidence? I don't know where the built-in suspension would come from as tensioned spokes stretch about 1mm (that's just a rough illustration) and when that stretch is used up by rim compression then spoke tension becomes zero and the nipple loses contact with its seat. And rims, when not strengthened with spoke tension, are very weak structures.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
Is that anecdotal "princess and the pea" evidence? I don't know where the built-in suspension would come from as tensioned spokes stretch about 1mm (that's just a rough illustration) and when that stretch is used up by rim compression then spoke tension becomes zero and the nipple loses contact with its seat. And rims, when not strengthened with spoke tension, are very weak structures.

It sounds like A) The spokes on the Shimano C50 wheels aren't tensioned high enough or B) A placebo effect because you have new wheels.

If A, it won't be long before they go out of true or you have a spoke failure.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
There is, as Mike posted, no noticeable difference in ride quality between wheels. It's just about physically impossible for it to happen for the reasons he stated. It's either a difference in tire pressure and/or construction, or you're thinking that they ride better to justify the money you just spent on them. If they flexed enough to have a noticeable effect on ride quality you'd have a wheel w/ a bunch of totally loose spokes that would be unrideable. .

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
No, constructed wheels are too rigid vertically to provide any degree of comfort as they're under significant spoke tension.

Look to your tires and your tire pressure. Lower your pressure incrementally until you experience a degree of cushion. If you then begin to experience pinch flats, move up a tire size and repeat.

For example, I'm 130lbs. and run 23mm tires at 80-85psi., having to top off the pressure about once a week.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
This is one of my favorite articles of all times:

Debunking Wheel Stiffness - Slowtwitch.com

Pay attention to the way aluminum rim wheels deflect contrary to how deep profile carbons do and on how the "give" of the lateral deflection could be misinterpreted by the rider as an indication of comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 200lbs running 25 mm GP4000's at 85/95 - I'll try reducing the pressure.
I can fit a 28mm on the front on a GP4000 which really is 31mm.
Max that will go on the back is the 25mm.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have you tried other tires? I have ridden on GP4000's and found them to be buzzy compared to michelin pro 4's and vittoria corsa. I know they are popular but it may be worth your while to try out another tire and see if you find any appreciable difference.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Have you tried other tires? I have ridden on GP4000's and found them to be buzzy compared to michelin pro 4's and vittoria corsa. I know they are popular but it may be worth your while to try out another tire and see if you find any appreciable difference.
I think most people that find the Conti's harsher or buzzier than tires like Michelin and Vittoria probably over-inflate their tires. That said, I also think the tread compound on the Conti tires is harder than most others which is why they're durable. The durometer of the tread will definitely make a difference in feel, especially when the tires are new and it's at max thickness. So I can concur that the Michelin and Vittoria (especially the high end tires) will feel 'better' than Conti.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I notice (imagine?) a smoother ride on some 55mm deep CF wheels. I wonder if the the rim itself compresses between the bead and the spoke bed with the thin walls of the rim bowing outward...maybe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Pro4 are currently on offer so ordered two 28s and will see how they go.
I'll keep deflating the tyre's and see where I end up.
I see no one mentioned going tubeless for lower pressures?

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but when I inflated my Dura Ace to 100 PSI I found the ride too bouncy and hard. I'm not a 200 pound rider by any stretch. Lowering the PSI to 90 gave me the ride I want. And Dura Ace C-24's do not have a bad reputation with regard to ride quality. My take away is that playing around with inflation is an important consideration for the rider.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but when I inflated my Dura Ace to 100 PSI I found the ride too bouncy and hard. I'm not a 200 pound rider by any stretch. Lowering the PSI to 90 gave me the ride I want. And Dura Ace C-24's do not have a bad reputation with regard to ride quality. My take away is that playing around with inflation is an important consideration for the rider.
Absolutely I have found my just right pressures based on which wheels and tires by going up and down around a base setting. I have also found different tired have different feels and durability. Current best compromise like many others are GP4000s

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Absolutely I have found my just right pressures based on which wheels and tires by going up and down around a base setting. I have also found different tired have different feels and durability. Current best compromise like many others are GP4000s
For me its Michelin Pro -4 Endurance, although I think they just did a new series to replace.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.