Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aerus Full carbon fork?

It came with my BLUE RC6 and I would like to use it for the matching paint job, if it's as stiff and compliant as the EC90 SL. The weight is about the same.

The fork weighs in @ 348g un-cut.

·
Registered
168 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Aerus Full carbon fork?

It came with my BLUE RC6 and I would like to use it for the matching paint job, if it's as stiff and compliant as the EC90 SL. The weight is about the same.

The fork weighs in @ 348g un-cut.
I was wondering why you opted to buy an Easton separately when the Blue frame is priced with the matching fork included.

I think it'll be hard to get a side my side comparison of the two forks being as though Blue isn't all that well known yet. However, a friend of mine did have an experience with an Easton fork on his custom Seven. When he first got his bike he complained about the sloppy handling to Seven customer service, who pointed out that the bike was designed around their own carbon fork. Problem solved. Not a knock on Eastons, but bikes are typically tested and designed around their own fork. I'd just go with the Aerus, accept the 20 gram weight penalty, and sell the Easton. Besides, the black and red of that Easton look kinda weird on that beautiful blue frame.

Also wondering why you didn't go with some Extralite cranks. FSA's aren't really that light, especially considering what they actually weight vs. what they claim.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I had the Eaton from the LS I had and it's a very sweet fork!

I am going to go with the original fork as soon as a new one arrives. The first one had an issues with the paint under the HS flaking due to it was on display with the frame and I wanted a new one.

I also agree with the looks. I love the easton, but soem how the frame just does not look as pretty. if I do not like the Aerus fork, I will get a fork with the same rake and have it re-painted to match!

Well I got the FSA on Close-out for very cheap and I prefer the look of carbon on the cranks.
The arms are only 350g. The BB is 147g for a total of 497g
The Extralite road cranks are 487-490g, so only 10g heavier for the FSA.

Yes, it's an ISIS BB, but ISIS seems to be fine and a very good application for Road BBs. I don't need/or feel the need for a stiffer BB/crank. If the Extralite cranks where crabon, then yes.

Also the newer Extralite E-Bones QRC will only come in compact sizing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts