Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These thingies came in a bag of small parts with my Giant OCR C.

What are they? About 2 inches long and have a gear cable or so sized hole through the middle.

Hard, black plastic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Housing stretcher

Are those those pieces of BS plastic crap that you can splice in to the middle of your housings, so if you need to adjust your cables- and the manufacturar was too cheap to install threaded bosses on the frame, you can make the housing a little longer to compensate for cable stretch?

I hate 'em. Just take up the slack at the component end by reclamping the cable.

Now, what did I win?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yo dogmeat

It did come with grey plastic things that are obviously for the purpose of cable adjustment.

The grey things have threaded turnable insides.

These black things are a single piece with no moving parts.

I'm thinking of the appropriate prize.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The short housing goes into the Shimano shifter. Then you install the Grey Barrel adjuster, then the rest of the cable housing. These are junk. They do not keep the adjustment and back themselves off quite quickly. Personally, I would not put them on your bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think I'll use these instead

thanks for the info.

Saw these Jagwires that will fit directly into my sti shifters.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
eflayer2 said:
These thingies came in a bag of small parts with my Giant OCR C.

What are they? About 2 inches long and have a gear cable or so sized hole through the middle.

Hard, black plastic.
That's part of the fetzer valve assembly. To put that in, you're going to need some 40 wt. ball bearings and antifreeze.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Wrong! Those are part of the metzer valve assemblies, much like a fetzer valve but they should never be confused with on or another. And in the summer we like to call it coolant.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Basically add-a-cable between STI levers and either gear indicators or inline cable adjustors.

Personally, I LOVE the inline cable adjustors, but then I have em inline with my brakes on my cross bike. Do VERY well at adding adjustability in an otherwise non-adjustable situation.

YMMV,

M

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
They are closely related to the mistery bits that breed inside your toaster. You know when your toaster goes bad you take it apart and reassemble it you are left with some bits with nowhere to go and your toaster works just fine without them. Some people speculate that you are actually *purging* the toaster, making it function AOK again without the bits breeding inside and the bits are in fact malignant. Now, I'm the last person to liken a bike to a toaster but don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
MShaw said:
Personally, I LOVE the inline cable adjustors,
That's old technology. My bike has ONLINE cable adjusters. You have to stay inside of cell phone service areas and shifting via cell phone is a little slower than STI.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
That's old technology. My bike has ONLINE cable adjusters. You have to stay inside of cell phone service areas and shifting via cell phone is a little slower than STI.
Thats good :D ........I wonder if that would work with 'Nextel'?? LOL

·
Tourist
989 Posts
If you do not know what to do with this and the barrel adjusters, SEND THEM MY WAY - I love these adjusters and will have good use for them !! PM if by any chance they are available...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts