Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Specific

Should have been clearer - I can see that they're Scott clips.. I'm really looking for wheather or not the twist shifters are a Scott component or another aftermarket..

If anyone knows a model # or any further info, I'd really appreciate it.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Those look like standard Grip-Shift (yes, the brand name) shifters added to Scott bars. The cabling is pretty awkward, my guess is this was a "experimental" application of inexpensive MTB shifters to a basic clip-on aero bar.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Grip Shift made a bar end shifter for drop bars and clip-ons for a few years but discontinued it.

Edit: It was the Grip Shift CX-DT, nearly impossible to find photos anymore.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Yep. Old grip shifts. By the way, made by a previous iteration of SRAM.

I have a set of about that vintage in my garage, for 7-speed Suntour Superbe Pro. Mine were used on drop bars, in the pre-STI days. 'Thought controlled shifting' was their tagline.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
danl1 said:
By the way, made by a previous iteration of SRAM.
I think your information here is mistaken. SRAM has always been SRAM. They started out just building Grip Shift, then bought up other companies to fill out their product line....Sachs, RockShox, Truvativ, Avid, Zipp, etc.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
I think your information here is mistaken. SRAM has always been SRAM. They started out just building Grip Shift, then bought up other companies to fill out their product line....Sachs, RockShox, Truvativ, Avid, Zipp, etc.
True enough. I really only meant that back then (late 80's), they were known by the Grip Shift name, as it was their only product. Everything was labeled like

GRIP SHIFT by sram

As a result, much media coverage and nearly all informal discussion referred to the business as Grip Shift. As I recall it, it wasn't until 1992 or so, with the serious introduction of mtn gear, that the corporate name got promoted over the product label.

Somehow I remembered that as also being a technical corporate name change, but on review my memory seems to be somewhat creative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts