Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There,

My buddy bought this bike at a garage sale last weekend and he doesn't know who manufactured it. It has been completely polished and the only markings that are barely visible are either oo or 00 on the top tube near the headset. My only guess would be maybe its a Look bike, I have no idea! He wants to sell it this weekend but needs to know what he's selling!

here are pics:

Thanks for your time,
Jake

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Cannondale from, I believe, the early 1990s with a replacement fork. If you find the serial number, here's how to decode it: First two digits are the size, next six digits are date of manufacture, remainder are unit number. For instance: SN 60021691121 indicates a 60 cm frame built on February 16, 1991, unit number 121.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
jvb4420 said:
Thanks for the quick reply I'll let him know. I'm sure he will be happy to find out it's a Cannondale, I think he only paid $15 for it! Any idea how much it might be worth?
Dunno—I've seen some of these old late 80s to early 90s Cannnodales go for around $300 on eBay. But those usually have the original paint, the original fork and all original components, so the buyers were buying a piece of history as much as they were buying a bike to ride. Then again, why not ask $300—he might get lucky.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Last year, I sold a bike just like that, with some used Neuvations for over 700 bucks. I started the listing at 99 cents and let everyone decide what it was worth. Many people like that polished look. You could even look for some Cannondale stickers, or leave it stealth. Just find a racing saddle and lift up the seatpost a little bit to make it look cool. You can call 1-800-bike-usa (Cannondale) with the serial numbers and they will tell you everything. Month and year produced, and size. That frame was called the 2.8, and is probably a 1996. Make sure and list it as a racing bike, those rear triangles are very stiff, the triathletes like them a lot.
It looks like you have original Shimano 600 grouppo, and that does look like the original fork, and wheels.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Correct.

Hooben said:
It looks like you have original Shimano 600 grouppo, and that does look like the original fork, and wheels.
If it's aluminum, it most likely is the original fork. I thought at first it looked like carbon, but changed my mind.

Checked completed eBay auctions: this Cannondale 2.8 got 19 bids and sold for $260 on 18 July '08.

· Registered
5,240 Posts
... as mentioned, it looks like the old Cannondale R2.8s which are great frames (even by today's standards)...

Also, it was popular in that era (circa mid to late nineties) to polish and clearcoat aluminium frames. Indeed, Cannondale offered polished frames back in those days.

Since it's a buyer's market, don't expect too much for the frame (especially since it has a 1" steerer) but it will/would make a killer crit bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.