Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an indexing adjustment on the actual brifter its self?

The Shifter that does the front dérailleur basically wont shift to the outer chain ring. When I push it to the side, it will shift to the outer chain ring, but the FD wont stay "out" and comes back about half way, kicking the chain back down.

The cable is tight as it should be, and the H and L screw are set correctly, as well as the dérailleur height and angle.

I am currently in WD40 hose mode so possibly that may fix it, but it just wont stay indexed all the way out?

It was NOT the H screw, I backed it out far enough for the chain to get tossed off the outer chain ring when I tried to shift, but the FD still did not stay out far enough and came back to rest in a position in between the inner and outer rings.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,436 Posts
sounds like you might be on the right track...there is no adjustment in the actual shifter (remember, brifter is a lame word and shouldn't be used on public forums). you seem to have checked off all the variables that could have an effect on the operation of the derailleur...height, angle, limit screws...keep trying the wd-40 and see what happens. also, check the cable inside the shifter and make sure it's not frayed.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
To add to this, if its a 105 or Tiagra shifter, there was a design change to the 4500 & 5600 shifters at the beginning of last year due to an indexing pawl inside the front shifter breaking. This will cause the shifter not to "hold" the shift.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eh they are old 600's

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Even though the cable is tight check to see that it isn't caught on anything between the shifter & the derailleur clamp. You might also check to make sure the cable isn't too tight. The front der. cable should only be tight enough to take any slack out of it. Too tight & you may have problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts