Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now riding my 2006 Campy Zonda's almost exclusively and am loving them. My excelites are beginning to gather dust.. I know that the rims are good... but the LBS build them with heavy spokes and with Veloce hubs. Not checking on a scale, but they feel heavier than the Zonda. Is it possible to rebuild these rims using chorus or record hubs with some double butted spokes? (Not confident enough to do it myself... so I would bring them to a wheel builder.) For around what price would it be worth it if at all? I know that this idea has basically been trashed... but it would be fun to have a lighter weight climbing wheel.
Rich

· wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Don't bother with changing the hubs. The bearing quality is the same. Veloce hubs are super smooth and te weight savings is not important enought unless you've got a hole in your pocket. If you're sure that the origional spokes are straight gauge, then respoking can be considered a cheap, but worthwhile upgrade. Be sure to use new nipples as well.

You don't mention your weight or riding conditions, but for most riders, you could go with Sapim Laser/DT Revolution spokes and Wheelsmith DB 14 spoke on the drive side of the rear wheel. This setup makes for a real nice ride and is plenty stiff for most.

-Eric

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.