Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a cramped parking lot, backing out of my cramped space.

I have to make it a three-point turn to get out.

There's a car backing out behind me, and pedestrians walking between us.

I finish my three-point turn, going slow as phuck because of all the activity around me, then start to pull away.

Then one of the pedestrians comes running after me, saying I hit his car when I was leaving.

Um, no. I didn't hit anything, and I've had enough scrapes in my lifetime to know that I'd know if I hit something.

His car was in the space to the right of mine, and he thinks the front driver's side fender (near the corner but not on the corner) of my car hit the rear corner of his car.

Um, no.

Ah, but I have scuffing on my car from when I rubbed against a wall pulling out of my carport. So in his mind, that confirms I hit him.

Arguments ensue. He and his two friends think I hit his car. They were standing behind my car when this allegedly happened.

I have a friend in my car, who's far more honest and ethical than I am, and she confirms that I did not hit his car.

Now, I know my car really, really well (JoeDaddio can attest to this). I was close to his car, but nowhere near hitting it. In fact, I was much closer to hitting the car behind me that was simultaneously backing up.

Not only that, but the markings on our cars don't match up to where it would be physically possible for me to have hit him.

So I ask if he actually saw me hit his car.

"No, but I saw that you were so close to my car that you probably hit it, and if you look at the markings on my car and put two-and-two together ..."

Uh-huh.

So I ask if he actually saw his car move when I was supposedly hitting it.

"No, because you were going so slow that it wasn't enough to move my car."

Uh-huh.

Oh, and did I mention he had other damage on his rear quarter-panel and his bumper cover that he admitted were previously existing?

Anyway, we argue pointlessly for a little while longer, he and his friends all calling me a liar and saying I'm not taking responsibility, etc., then he lets it go. I kept hearing the word "Karma" as I was walking away.

Unless this guy's a totally scamming pieceofshit, I think he truly believes I hit his car. He has my license plate, but that's it.

So, quick question: Is this guy gonna come after me and, if so, any preventative measures I should take? My friend recommended I get the scuffing on my car waxed out. I disagree. I'd rather leave it in case he does come calling, so they can match it up to the damage on his car and figure things out themselves.

And by "they" I mean the FBI forensics unit.

Oh, and one last thing. He drives an Audi, and I'm already not fond of Audi drivers. Only recently has their spot atop my list been overtaken .... by Prius drivers (nothing personal all you Audi and Prius drivers; it's an L.A. thing).

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
damn that sucks. sounds like nothing but an attempt at a scam to me.

warning your insurance agent about a potential scam might be a good idea? not 100% sure on that one.

wow- i thought i was a lonely person hating prius drivers.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2cflyr said:
warning your insurance agent about a potential scam might be a good idea? not 100% sure on that one.
Yeah, I was thinking about that.

2cflyr said:
wow- i thought i was a lonely person hating prius drivers.
As far as I'm concerned, they're all like my dad: mercilessly self-righteous and unbearably annoying. :cool:

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Insurance person would be good to call - they might have some advice too. By parking lot, it sounds like it happened on private property. Around here at least that means the police aren't involved but LA is a _ahem_ different place. :)

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I know this sounds funny but you didn't happen to take any pictures of the "accident" did you? I would let your insurance company know and get their recommendations. Better that they know about it in advance than get blind sided with it later. Also, if you know a friend cop to ask their opinion you might want to chat about it with. If you need a witness, I am for hire and will say whatever it is you need for a small fee.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jupiterrn said:
If you need a witness, I am for hire and will say whatever it is you need for a small fee.
That made me LOL. Can I get it in writing?

Meh. I took a pic of his license plate before he left but not of the damage to his car. Probably should have. Phuck.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Good luck.

Some douche high school neighbor kid backed into my car last year. It was obvious...would have been at the angle of his car while backing out, black paint on my white car/white paint on his in the correct areas, at the same height and with identical specific markings, etc. Cop didn't buy it but believed the kid and his dad who said the paint marks were there. Some of which were, but not the ones from my car.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
You live in LA right? And no one is bleeding? I think the cops will just laugh if he call them.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that.

As far as I'm concerned, they're all like my dad: mercilessly self-righteous and unbearably annoying. :cool:
Careful, there's a few Prius drivers around these parts.

They're good cars that get exceptional gas mileage, and I can fit my bike in the back with both wheels on. :p

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Gawd I hate most Prius drivers. The worst of the worst. Driving like a bat out of hell and cutting off whoever get in the way.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Gawd I hate most Prius drivers. The worst of the worst. Driving like a bat out of hell and cutting off whoever get in the way.
Hey! Blanket statements and stereotyping! Wheeee!

·
Too Old to Run...
227 Posts
I seriously doubt that the guy will persue this. Besides the garage damage to your vehicle is not going to match the damage to his fender anyways. Any cop or adjuster worth their weight should be able to determine this. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

I had an incident where the other driver was denying the whole thing. It was the matching marks that sealed her fate though - damage doesn't lie.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
jupiterrn said:
How many wrecks have you been in?:D
That was rear-ending people, not cutting them off.

Though I did that the other week because I wasn't paying attention and nearly missed my exit. But you know, I did that in my Ford Contour SVT, too. The car doesn't make the driver.

How many other drivers cut people off and get into wrecks that DON'T drive a Prius?

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
LA drivers are awful when it comes to their cars. It's like a substitute for a kid or something.

Leave the scuff marks on your car. They prove you didn't hit him.

/// I'd hit it.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
People need to chill the f*** out. Parking lots get tight, tiny bumps happen, get over it. I think that by leaving your car in a public space like that, you are acknowledging that there's a chance something could happen to it. Shopping carts roll, little kids hit things, birds poop, life goes on. Show me a person that has never accidently bumped another car, and I'll show you a liar.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
You were probably the same guy who hit my wife's car a while back. I didn't see it, but I'm sure it was you. Putting two-and-two together...

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
randi_526 said:
Show me a person that has never accidently bumped another car, and I'll show you a liar.
I've never accidentally bumped one... :devil:

Your story is one of my many number one reasons for not buying new cars. I had one once. The new car smell was nice for a while, but you can buy that in a can.

I much prefer the comfort of being able to open my door into a curb, look at the new scratch, and go, "Eh, whatever."

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Driving like a bat out of hell and cutting off whoever get in the way.
Around here, they go slow as hell to keep their MPG stats on the high hat.

All of them.

Every last one of them.

:wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts