Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring an old Falcon 10-speed that I built in the 80's that has campy record parts. The hub is a campy record unit and has a screw-in cassette with 5 gears. The cassette is a suntour or something like that. Any thought on how many gears I can sqeeze on that if I upgrade the cassette? Thanks. /humble

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
120mm rear = 5 spd standard spaced or 6 spd narrow spaced.

spread it to 126mm and you can stick a 6 spd standard spaced or 7 spd narrow spaced.

if it's a 5 speed it's doubtless a freewheel not a cassette. right nomenclature helps when you're looking for parts...

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
What kind of Suntour set? It's called a freewheel. Should say on the side. Perfect, Winner and Winner Pro = 5 and 6 speed. Everything else was 7-speed. Superbe and Superbe Pro, I'll PM you my mailing address and some PayPal money.

seriously though....

I have a Perfect here and it holds five but I've heard of guys using narrow spacing and getting six.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
First of all, it's a freewheel, not a cassette. Click here for more info. Thanks, SB!

The question is how far are you willing to go to add gears to your bike? A new freewheel with narrower spacing will require a new, narrower chain. This will give you 6 gears. Going to 7 gears will require you to add a spacer to your rear hub and redish your rear wheel in addition to the narrower chain. You'll also need to stretch your chainstays out when you mount the wheel as your rear spacing has to be increased from 120mm to 126 (that's what the spacer is for), not to mention adjusting the limit screws for the wider freewheel. You may have to replace the axle, too, if it is not long enough. I don't recall the minimum length required to make this all work but I'm going to guess it is in the 132-135mm range.

If you are willing to mix and match parts you can always build a modern rear wheel with a Shimano compatible rear freehub and run an 8-speed cassette. You'll still need to run a narrower chain and the newest freehubs are even wider at 130mm. This will give you a stronger rear axle, though, as the drive-side bearing is no longer in the middle of the axle but is instead relocated to the end of the axle, reducing the chance of you bending it in the middle.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Longer axle

Squidward said:
You may have to replace the axle
This should read: You probably will have to replace the axle. If you don't put in a longer axle, the odds are good that you won't have enough axle on each end to properly support the hub in the frame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good points - freewheel - it's all coming back to me now - thank you.

all good advice - i don't want to stretch the rear stays. If I can find a 6 I will go with that or just stick with the the 5.

I will have to use smaller chain rings if I ever take this bike into the mountains.

Thanks for the answers. /h

·
Registered
101 Posts
i put a 6 sp in a 5 sp rear triangle for years....

no problem at all. the triangle will retain it's 5 sp spacing when the 6 sp is removed

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
OK on frame

humble said:
I don't want to stretch the rear stays.
This is really not an issue with a steel frame. You're doing no damage by just putting a wider hub in there. You don't have to do any bending; you just spread the stays a tad when you put the wheel in, and it's all good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks again - more good points - I am going to stick with the the wheel I have - to keep the original look and feel. I am not sure the Suntour cassette model - will check when I get back and look at maybe swapping that for another if I can get six gears back there and such replacements are available for a reasonable price. /h

1 - 9 of 9 Posts