Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have a 2016 Giant TCX SLR1 cyclocross bike that has internal routing. I have Di2 on my road bike and really like it so managed to get a good deal on a Di2 group set for the CX bike. Given it is internally routed at the moment I bought parts for internally routed Di2.

Now that I'm about to install the group set, the grommets that I thought were removable on the underside of the BB area (where I was planning on pushing the junction box into the frame) are actually part of the frame. As such, there's no way I will be able to get the junction box into the frame that I can see.

Can anyone let me know if it's possible to install internally routed Di2 onto a TCX SLR frame, and if so how I can get the junction box into the frame?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
You can't remove the BB and install it through the bottom bracket hole, the reinstall the bottom bracket once you have it wired up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, it would be great if I could just do that. It's a Press Fit bottom bracket and I don't have the tools to remove it but I can always take it to the LBS to get it done. I've taken the cranks off to take a look and it looks like the bottom bracket area is completely enclosed, but perhaps this is just a sheath between the two BB cups? Do you know for sure there will be a hole to put the wires through if I get the BB removed?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Take it to the shop. They will have experience dealing with this.

I put Di2 on my Volagi Viaje and had the same problem (nowhere for wires to pass through the BB).

I ended up trying several BB adapters until I found one with a shell that allowed the wires to pass through. In my case, it was a PF30, and I ended up with a Torqtite BB adapter. YMMV.

If you search around on this site, I believe I posted about it, and may have even posted some pictures.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
It's always good to make sure you know what you're up against before ordering hundreds of dollars worth of parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys, I managed to get the parts for a good price so I could sell them and get my money back fairly easy if I'd didn't work out. I have taken one of the BB cups out today though and there is room to route the cables and insert the junction box, then re-install the BB cup so I'm good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys, I managed to get the parts for a good price so I could sell them and get my money back fairly easy if I'd didn't work out. I have taken one of the BB cups out today though and there is room to route the cables and insert the junction box, then re-install the BB cup so I'm good to go.
I'm doing this same upgrade in a few weeks, as I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive. I figured I would have to remove the BB to get the B-jct and wires in there.

I've replaced the rear derailleur cable a couple of times through the right rear chainstay, and am just wondering, how did that part of the Di2 routing go? I remember it being a pain, as I had to hit that little sleeve that was in there for the cable, but now I'm wondering if I can even get a Di2 cable through there? Any experience or tips would be greatly appreciated before I muddle through. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, well the good news is you can definitely get it to work as I'm running Di2 on my TCX SLR1 now. I took the BB out and managed to get everything wired up but from memory I couldn't get the wire to the rear derailleur myself so I took it to my LBS who just had a bit more patience than me and got it through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to look at it again. I'm wondering if they used the Park Tool to route it. I'm hoping I can just remove that sleeve and the cable will slide through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.