Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Surly Cross Check that I purchased as a complete bike. As most probably know, it is a multispeed bike that has horizontal dropouts. It shipped with the dropout adjustment screws such that the rear wheel is about midway in the dropout.

Over time, I've upgraded my CC into more of a rugged road-bike than a cross bike. The bike is definitely a little squirelly compared to my road bike. I am wondering if it's ok to move the rear wheel all the way back in the dropouts? I figure this will lower the bottom bracket and the center of gravity, giving the bike slightly more stability in the corners.

Any thoughts? Chain tension a problem? Is this worth trying?

edit: running the bike as a 2x9 with a short cage ultegra rear derailleur, if that makes any difference...

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Yes & No...

Moving the wheel back should not "hurt" anything. However, I question whether it will have the effect for which you are hoping for the reasons you are hoping. Moving the wheel back as you propose will not have any significant effect on the height of the center of gravity or the BB height. Both will be very slightly reduced, but not enough to really effect the handling. It will, however, give you a longer wheelbase which should make the bike more stable and less twitchy. Bottom line try it, but do not expect an earth shattering difference.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
It will make absolutely no difference. The amount of change in wheelbase, etc. will be insignificant. If you want the bike to be less squirrely, get a fork with less rake, to increase trail.

Chain tension is obviously taken care of by the derailleur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.